power supply for garmin chart plotter

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a garmin 421 and wired it to my fuse box hot to my fuse and neg. to the neg. bar .....yea it was working the past couple of time and the other day it wouldn't fire up and that made me miss out on a lot of rock piles for black fish.

question I have is ,can rig my power supply to a 12 volt cig. lighter adapter?, I don't see why not it is a 12 volt source.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: power supply for garmin chart plotter

Why? Changing where you get 12 volts does not change why the unt doesn't work. But yes, you can add a plug and use the acc socket.

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

did a little research on the power plug wire. the female part that plugs into the male end (gps) of the female pin connector looks corroded, would that cerate no power ? ....looks like it's pushed in or corroded preventing a good power feed. plus I've been seeing this green film ( corrosion? ) around the female pin connector...acid looking kind of color. if that's the case I think the connections where ok.

I was just look at someone's comment (not this site) on the same power cord and he also lost power cuz of a corroded pin or the female area of the cord. I think i'll just buy another one.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Yep, that would do it. Some dielectric grease on those contacts will help forestall a recurrence.

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

update...... ordered a new power cord for my 421 garmin GPS and it fires up. bought some other band of die/grease and coated the contacts ,not gonna use it in the winter anyway. when useing this grease how much should i use to coat what ever is in question? thanks again.

UncleWillie

Captain

...When using this grease, how much should I use to coat what ever is in question? ...

Just enough to cover the Metal. The more the messier.
Think of it like Paint. A light coat does the job. Pouring it on an inch thick doesn't make it any better.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

uh....dielectric grease is an insulator.......

It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Agreed -- the very definition of the word dielectric means non-conductive. Dielectric grease is used in many automotive applications but the most common is in the spark plug wire boots to prevent them from sticking to the plug and to eliminate a potential current path out of the boot, around the plug to the head caused by anything making its way into the boot.

NYBo

Admiral

If the contacts aren't tight enough to push aside dielectric grease to make good contact, they aren't tight enough, period. The grease will help keep air and moisture out of the joint, slowing corrosion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If the contacts aren't tight enough to push aside dielectric grease to make good contact, they aren't tight enough, period. The grease will help keep air and moisture out of the joint, slowing corrosion.

But why-oh-way.would you use an insulating grease instead of a conductive grease with the same corrosion resistant properties? :)

NYBo

Admiral

But why-oh-way.would you use an insulating grease instead of a conductive grease with the same corrosion resistant properties? :)
Because it could complete the current path between the two conductors.

UncleWillie

Captain

But, Where-Oh-Where, do you get Grease that Conducts Electricity?

No-OX-ID Grease may be marketed for Electrical Conductors, and their marketing department mistakingly calls it "Electrically Conductive",
But the MSDS clearly shows it is a mix of Petroleum Wax and Light Oil, neither of which are remotely Conductive.

NoOxId.jpg