Bow Light

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Sportcraft 252 has separate bow lights and the port side light will always light when you first turn the nav light switch on. Then after a few minutes it will just go off and stays off. Had this start in August when we started out the river towards Lake Ontario before daylight the last trip up. Next morning it did the same thing. I am thinking ground.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Bow Light

My Sportcraft 252 has separate bow lights and the port side light will always light when you first turn the nav light switch on. Then after a few minutes it will just go off and stays off. Had this start in August when we started out the river towards Lake Ontario before daylight the last trip up. Next morning it did the same thing. I am thinking ground.

Could be either but most the time it is the ground and the cause is corrosion. Is the light incandescent or LED?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is one of the following - (not necessarily in order of probability)
1) bad bulb connections in the socket
2) power loss to the lamp from the NAV/ANC switch
3) Intermittent bulb
4) bad ground

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's an incandescant bulb, socket looks good, new blue seas toggle switch. I guess I will try a jumper from the ground buss bar to the socket to check that out and then run a new ground wire if that is it. Continue to troubleshoot it that's not it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Troubleshooting consists of checking for power as follows:

1) At the fuse panel.
2) At the INPUT (line side of the switch)
3) Switch on - then check for power at the output (LOAD) side of the switch.
4) At the terminal in the light socket.
5) An ohm meter reading from the ground on the socket to the ground buss is next.
6) Verify the ground buss to the negative terminal of battery in the same manner.

Just jumping around with various looks and new stuff is frustrating, time consuming and a costly way to fix problems.