Humminbird 597 CI HD DI low voltage shut down problem...need help

BrokeLoser

Seaman
My not so old 597 HD DI unit shows 8.4v on screen then shuts itself off. I test for voltage at the battery and the battery tests at 11.66v...I test at the fish finder mount contacts and it tests at 11.65v so I know I'm not losing voltage in my cabling.

It's mounted in my kayak with the 10' lead that it came with with no added cable and wired straight to the battery on a 5 amp fuse. I have been using this unit for nearly two years and it has worked fine...I haven't changed anything that may have caused the issue.

Your thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Humminbird 597 CI HD DI low voltage shut down problem...need help

My not so old 597 HD DI unit shows 8.4v on screen then shuts itself off. I test for voltage at the battery and the battery tests at 11.66v...I test at the fish finder mount contacts and it tests at 11.65v so I know I'm not losing voltage in my cabling.

It's mounted in my kayak with the 10' lead that it came with with no added cable and wired straight to the battery on a 5 amp fuse. I have been using this unit for nearly two years and it has worked fine...I haven't changed anything that may have caused the issue.

Your thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Clean the connections to shiny metal clean, both the (+), 'n (-) sides,...

NYBo

Admiral

Make sure the connections between the power cable and the unit are good. Some electrical contact cleaner might help; you don't want to break the pins by manhandling them.

BTW, your battery is rather discharged at 11.66 volts.

marine 1

Cadet

The cable may read 11.9 volts but that will drop when a load is applied. Clean all your connections and it should work. Also check the pins on the cord end to see that they haven't widened from installing and removing the cord from the unit.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check and clean connections, ALL of them.

Alumarine

Captain

As Bondo mentioned your battery is quite discharged. Perhaps charge it and do a load test on it.

UncleWillie

Captain

It's mounted in my kayak with the 10' lead that it came with with no added cable and wired straight to the battery on a 5 amp fuse. I have been using this unit for nearly two years and it has worked fine...I haven't changed anything that may have caused the issue. Your thoughts?
I hope you have been charging it at least once every month or two over the last two years.

The problem is the VERY Low Voltage.
A good, charged battery will measure 12.6v+.
A battery powering Nothing and measuring well below 12 volts is a dead battery.
It drops to below 9 volts powering just a sonar. Way past dead! (A Walking Zombie Battery!)

Charge the battery then let is sit unconnected for 24 hours.
If it is below 12.5v a day later, it is time for a new battery.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A battery powering Nothing and measuring well below 12 volts is a dead battery.
It drops to below 9 volts powering just a sonar. Way past dead! (A Walking Zombie Battery!)
+1...