Electric Switch Panel Problems

Ivor Schull

Recruit
Hi,

The electric switch panel on my Beneteau is giving me problems in that the 16 Led indicator lights have stopped working and on the earth return for the lights there is, what looks like a plain brown resistor with the letters VF on it. When I bypass this resistor the lights work. Would anyone know what this resistor is so that I can replace it I would much appreciate any help on this.

Thanks and regards,
Ivor

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Electric Switch Panel Problems

Look at the color bands on it. That will tell you what "size" resistor it is. Google resistor color bands and just replace it. It probably cost $0.25.

I it is square and fairly good size it is a ballast resistor. Made to limit current to those lights. Don't bypass it. If it is a ballast resistor it should be marked what size it is. If not with six or so leds in series I wold start with 300 ohms. If not bright enough work down but that should be in the ball park

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green blue, violet, gray and white. These represent the numbers 0 - 9 respectively.

Ivor Schull

Recruit

Thanks so much for the replies. It is plain brown with no bands and the only marking on it is VF and a small triangle. It cylindrical shaped and about a 1/4 inch long or smaller actually just like a resistor.
Regards,
Ivor

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bad boys rape our young girls but violet gives willingly. 30 years ago in high school still remember. Anyhow start with 330 or 300. Work up until they dim or down if not bright enough. Without the resistor they will burn up. Here is a guide. They cost about $0.25 a piece. Of course unless they have marine stamped on them.

http://dmohankumar.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/led-series-resistor-value-calculation.pdf

Last edited: