Marine Radio

Brad S

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope this is the right area to ask this question.
Looking to purchase a Shakespeare SE2510 VHF Radio.
Antenna is a Shakespeare Galaxy 9'-6" 6dB VHF.
Any opinions

Thanks

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marine Radio

I have a Standard Horizon and not familiar with the Shakespear. Mine has a command mike so I can hear while under way, and DSC (Digital Selective Calling) which ties into my GPS. Pretty nice little unit for hailing locks and other boaters. - I have that Antenna and the 2 work well together.

Will you be boating mostly in the Ocean or inland lakes. If in the ocean, DSC is nice to have, but needs to be registered.

Last edited:

Brad S

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes but not exclusively. Most when the salmon are running halibut in S.F. Bay. My son does most of the ocean fishing and I do Ca. Delta and reservoir/lake fishing for kokanee and mackinaw (quite a bit in Lake Tahoe

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

What model is your Standard Horizon?

I believe it's the Intrepid - not sure of the exact model number. It's been a good radio and trouble free. We've had the boat since 07 and used it in S. CA in the ocean before I moved it up to MN in 12 - it still works great. I also have the splash cover for it.

NYBo

Admiral

All new VHF marine radios sold in the US will have DSC, as required by law.

jhebert

Ensign

I have never heard of any Shakespeare-brand radios. If the model you mention is an older model, it may not be legal to install it. Since c.2011 all VHF Marine Band fixed-mount radios installed must be rated to CLASS-D DSC. Cf.:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002755.html

I prefer VHF Marine Band fixed-mount radios made by Standard-Horizon.

For a VHF Marine Band antenna for a small boat I prefer the arrangement shown in

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: VHF Antenna

Last edited: