Mounting a bow mount Minn Kota 45#

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to mount my trolling motor on the bow of my newly acquired StarCraft SF 14. At the bow is an area plenty large enough to mount, but it is only a pretty thin aluminum sheet, I can easily "flex" it by hand. So, if I put a piece of plywood about the same size as the V shaped aluminum, underneath, would that be sturdy enough? Or do I need to actually attach plywood to the gunnels with SS bolts? The mounting plate is simple, 4 holes in maybe a 3x5 rectangle pattern.
photo 3.JPG

YamahaF200

Cadet
Re: Mounting a bow mount Minn Kota 45#

3/4" or 5/8" thick plywood under the aluminum deck will definetly give the trolling motor a more rigid plateform to be mounted on. you may want to add fasteners all around the perimeter as well to secure the plywood

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it mounted, very solid. A "wood sandwich" is what I did. Worked great and looks good. I just thought maybe others who had the same setup might chime in with some experience advice.

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention that the Quick Mount plate, a $50 aftermarket "accessory" is worth the price. Installation of the trolling motor is a breeze with this thing. And, taking the motor completely off the boat is a 30 second job. Very simple design that works. And really makes the install much easier. I say it's worth it, but I did not actually pay the $50. I got the motor and plate from a guy who bought a new boat and the motor was part of the package and "has no use for a motor like that" lol. Never used, I saved a ton over a new one on that lucky find.

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some pictures of it after installation. On the underside of the bow plate I used 3/4" ply, and on the top the same, but I rounded the corners and sanded and painted it so it wouldn't look quite so "hillbilly" lol. Seems super solid, 45# thrust should be plenty for this boat.
photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks plenty strong. My 18' crestliner has a piece of 1/2" plywood under the bow cap, for mounting the TM.

One issue you have now is the bow light is obscured, blocked from view on the starboard side. You'll either need separate bow lights or a pole mounted combo bow light that will reach over the TM.