Minn Kota Vector 70 - 3X Steering

alumanut

Cadet
Can anyone provide input on the Minn Kota Vector 70 - 3X Steering, Transom Mount Trolling Motor. They were discontinued in 2006 and I can't seem to find out much about them - although from what I've seen of the features they offer I like them. They're a bit more complex than the average transom mount trolling motor so I'm wondering if that meant more problems??? I've located one in good condition but I'd like to hear from someone who is familiar with the good, the bad, and the ugly! Hopefully it's mostly "good!"

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Minn Kota Vector 70 - 3X Steering

What are you looking for, as far as good-bad-ugly?

I have a MK 70# Vector 3X and like it, almost everything is a plus on this TM, beefy transom bracket, tilting/extending handle, maximizer digital technology.

2 downsides to this motor that I have experienced:
- The trolling motor has the 3X steering that takes some getting used to. Turn the handle a little and the motor turns a lot. If you're used turning 90* hard to port to turn quickly, with the 3X motor that would have you going backwards in the opposite direction... The TM has a direction pointer on the head, so you can see where the motor is pointing, but I found it a pain to look at the arrow.
- There is no "reverse" on this TM, so you can't flip it into reverse to have the prop spin backwards, to blow weeds off the prop. You can spin the TM around 180* so it moves the boat backwards, but the prop does not spin backwards. I haven't had issues with this, but could see how it could cause issues if the prop got totally fouled with weeds, IE: stuck in a weed bed.

You have the get the "feel" for this TM and pay attention to the direction the boat is going, opposed to where the TM handle is pointing.

I modified the shaft lock on the TM so the handle sits off about 45* to starboard (directly towards the rear center seat of my boat) when the motor/prop is pointing straight forward. I can steer the boat full left and right by 60* of handle travel,,, which is easy to do seated in the center back seat of my boat. (see pic) Works slick in my set-up.

TM Seat.jpg

Last edited:

alumanut

Cadet

What are you looking for, as far as good-bad-ugly?

I have a MK 70# Vector 3X and like it, almost everything is a plus on this TM, beefy transom bracket, tilting/extending handle, maximizer digital technology.

2 downsides to this motor that I have experienced:
- The trolling motor has the 3X steering that takes some getting used to. Turn the handle a little and the motor turns a lot. If you're used turning 90* hard to port to turn quickly, with the 3X motor that would have you going backwards in the opposite direction... The TM has a direction pointer on the head, so you can see where the motor is pointing, but I found it a pain to look at the arrow.
- There is no "reverse" on this TM, so you can't flip it into reverse to have the prop spin backwards, to blow weeds off the prop. You can spin the TM around 180* so it moves the boat backwards, but the prop does not spin backwards. I haven't had issues with this, but could see how it could cause issues if the prop got totally fouled with weeds, IE: stuck in a weed bed.

You have the get the "feel" for this TM and pay attention to the direction the boat is going, opposed to where the TM handle is pointing.

I modified the shaft lock on the TM so the handle sits off about 45* to starboard (directly towards the rear center seat of my boat) when the motor/prop is pointing straight forward. I can steer the boat full left and right by 60* of handle travel,,, which is easy to do seated in the center back seat of my boat. (see pic) Works slick in my set-up.

View attachment 215002

fishrdan:

You confused me with your comment about "---the direction the boat is going, opposed to where the TM handlle is pointing." I would have thought that the tiller works the same as it would on any tiller-steered transom-mounted trolling motor or outboard (---or like a sailboat rudder and tiller) - i.e. - you push the tiller to the left to turn right or to the right to turn left. This, of course, is different from a bow-mounted, tiller-steered motor where the motor end of the tiller does point in the direction you want to go. If the 3:1 articulating mechanism has reversed this normal operation that would be a deal-breaker for me. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks! I'm close enough to where the motor is located to check it out - but I'll watch for your response or others.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral

fishrdan:

You confused me with your comment about "---the direction the boat is going, opposed to where the TM handlle is pointing."

Nope, not opposite. (Well I guess it could become opposite if you kept turning the tiller handle enough, if it would let you turn that far, which I don't think it will... 90* port on the tiller X 3 would be 270* pointing starboard on the motor/prop)

The tiller handle does not necessarily point in the same exact direction as the motor/prop are pointing, due to the 3X steering. The tiller handle still moves the motor/prop in the same direction as a standard transom mount trolling motor, but it moves the motor/prop 3 times more.

Push the tiller handle 45* to port and the motor/prop are now pointing 135* to port, pushing backwards and to port,,, instead of pushing forward and to port as it would with a normal trolling motor.

Yeah, it's kind of confusing until you get the hang of it.

If it's close, check it out, you'll either love it or hate it.

alumanut

Cadet

I went ahead and bought the motor - so I'll still be looking for "pearls of wisdom" from others.