Perko Switch question

bigdealsam

Seaman Apprentice
I have a new to me 1994 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer with twin motors. In the battery compartment I have a common Perko switch for battery 1, 2 , all or off. No problem there, I understand the switch. Adjacent to that Perko switch, I have another Perko switch that is simply "on or off". Any idea what the "on or off" switch does and in which position should I leave it while docked ? Thanks.

Re: Perko Switch question

odd to have only one perko dual battery switch for 2 motors as there are normally one for each engine. The on/off switch is normally used if you have a 3rd house battery. Hopefully some one with a sea ray will chip in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to trace the cables to truly understand what the function of everything is.

alldodge

Staff member

Don't usually find a switch on a Gen but do you have a generator?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

ON-OFF means just that. It is used to connect or disconnect whatever circuit it is associated with. Only you can trace the "IN" cable to determine its origin and the "OUT" cable to see what the switch controls.

agallant80

Commander

I would guess someone put it in as a master on/off switch but as stated above you need to trace the lines.

bigdealsam

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all for the advise. I have attempted to trace the cables but it has proven to be a bit more difficult than originally planned. Body doesn't bend and twist the way it used to in those tight spaces. I'll get it figured out sooner or later. I just assumed that it was something simple and I'd have 10 responses on here about what an idiot I am for not knowing.

Yes, it has a generator but the "on off" switch does not affect it at all.

NYBo

Admiral

You should be able to at least trace the cable back to one of the batteries since the switch is in the battery compartment. But it may be connected to the Com terminal on the other switch. Here's a suggestion: Turn the switch to "off" and see what no longer works.