Minn Kota Riptide #70 salt water series (2010 model)

YamahaF200

Cadet
while fishing on thursday, the trolling motor just stopped. every now and again i would try it and the motor would run, but if i turned it off, i would have to wait a while before it would come on again.
now tonight, it trips the breaker. i took the head off and found a chaffed ground wire, but no signs of shorting out. i tapped it w/ electrical tape. inspected what i could, found nothing else. the rotary switch is a yr old. plugged it in and tried it and it trips the breaker.

thoughts? bad motor? switch?

thank's

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Riptide #70 salt water series (2010 model)

Disconnect the wires at the head that run down the shaft. Making sure none are touching each other, turn the unit on. If the breaker doesn't trip the problem is in the wires going down the shaft to the motor or the motor itself has an issue. If the breaker still trips, the problem is in the wiring between the switch and the head. I suspect it is a motor issue since the breaker is likely rated 40 amps or more. Only the motor would draw that amount of current and any of the control circuits are much smaller and would "smoke" if they were shorted. With the motor off and power disconnected, turn the prop by hand. It will turn with a slight jerkiness but it should turn relatively freely. If is binding, remove the prop and check for fish line wrapped tightly around the shaft. If you find some, it is likely the seal has been cut by the line and water has entered the motor housing resulting in additional binding due to rust and corrosion.

YamahaF200

Cadet

Thank you for your insight and suggestion. I will take a look at it this evening.
You had mentioned "fishing line", I now remember that my girl friend's line did get caught in the trolling motor on Wednesday and I pulled it out. I'm wondering if there is line still wrapped in there and did exactly what you said about fouling up the seal and allowing water into the motor.
I'll let you know what I find.
Thank's

YamahaF200

Cadet

ok, this is what i found at the motor,...a short between the positive wire and positive side brush(wire). must have gotten HOT and melted the wire insulation.
next step, call my local trolling motor repair center and hopefully he has a brush. i spliced the bad spot on the wire with a heavey guage wire connector. should be fine

YamahaF200

Cadet

update:
for under $5, i was able to purchase 2 electrical brushes, 1 propellor shear pin and 2 shaft seals. yes, $5.
i couldn't believe it myself.

i have reinstalled everything. the trolling motor is mounted back on the boat and i'm ready to go fishing

Last edited: