Glue for Minn Kota magnets

Rascal4now

Cadet
I have an old 3hp Minn Kota that was given to me. It was hardly used U the magnets have come away from the housing. I have researched parts & also contacted Minn Kota. Parts are no longer available. I thought I would give a try to gluing the magnets back to the housing. There are clear marks where they came away. I have nothing to loose to give it a try. What type of glue should I use?

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Glue for Minn Kota magnets

I personally have not tried repairing a motor housing (typically replaced). My experience is with motors is in another hobbie but I will try to help you out. I will defer to anyone who rebuilds electric motors or alternators that steps up.

You will need a high heat two part epoxy. (JB weld makes one that should be sufficient.)

1) Clean any existing epoxy off first using acetone and pay close attention to the placement of the magnet. (careful not to get any on the other magnets or it will weaken the bond)

2) Apply epoxy and clamp the magnet while it dries. If it is not in a position you can clamp it you can wrap electrical tape around the rotor and put it back in the motor (it will be a tight fit hopefully.) This will ensure you have space between the rotor and the magnets. The epoxy should not stick to the tape well.

3) Wipe off any excess epoxy with alcohol before it dries.

Hopes this works for you.

Last edited:

Rascal4now

Cadet

thank so much for all replies. the magnets have not moved far. i can slide them back to where they were. off to find high heat jb weld:)

thank so much for all replies. the magnets have not moved far. i can slide them back to where they were. off to find high heat jb weld:)

mark the magnet with a paint pen before removing it to clean because silvertips is correct about observing polarity. I made the mistake of not marking the magnets when I had to epoxy the magnets back in to a starter motor and once the epoxy sets its a real pain to correct that fubar

fishrdan

Admiral

I'd use a 1-2 hour slow curing epoxy, and leave the magnet clamped for 24 hours while the epoxy completely cures.

JB weld would most likely work just fine, but the magnet will pull all the metal out of the JB weld and stick it up against the magnet. Grey colored JB weld will turn off white. (yup, I've glued a magnet with JB before.)

Rascal4now

Cadet

if the glue pulls the metal from jb weld, will it still adhere?

I'd use a 1-2 hour slow curing epoxy, and leave the magnet clamped for 24 hours while the epoxy completely cures.

JB weld would most likely work just fine, but the magnet will pull all the metal out of the JB weld and stick it up against the magnet. Grey colored JB weld will turn off white. (yup, I've glued a magnet with JB before.)

fishrdan

Admiral

Probably work just fine as JB Weld is epoxy with fine metal particles mixed in, maybe some other stuff mixed in too.... Most likely not as strong as JB with metal mixed in throughout, but If I had the JB on hand, I'd go for it.

Rascal4now

Cadet

Well JB Weld is my new best friend. However, I must have not cleaned things correctly or put magnets in at a slight angle because there is no way I can get the armature in for anything. Advice? Therapy?

fishrdan

Admiral

Can't get the armature in past the magnets, or can't get it seated all the way down past the brushes. There's a special cardboard tube that's used to keep the brushes pushed outward, push the armature in and cardboard tube slides out of the way.

If the magnet is glued in improperly with JB weld, you're probably skrewed. When you glued the magnet in, did you clamp it tight against the metal tube/housing? The only way to release JB weld is with heat, but you're going to burn off all the paint and possibly warp the metal tube in the process.

Rascal4now

Cadet

I cant get the armature in to even start to open the brushes. I do know what you mean though. Guess the magnets can't be ground away a bit? It seems just at the top it's stuck. I have carbide burrs.