Nmea connections, Garmin 128 to Icom M323

TonytheSailor

Recruit
My apologies if this has been covered before but I cannot find the specific answer I'm looking for.

I have a new Icom M323 DSC VHF and am trying to interface it with my existing Garmin 128 GPS.

I have changed the Garmin interface to nmea/nmea from garmin/garmin, but I cannot get a time and position on my VHF.

The nmea colours on the Garmin are,
Brown
Yellow
Blue
Green
White

The nmea colours on the Icom are,
Brown
Yellow
Green
White.

What do I connect to what, to get a time and position shown please?

For info,
The Icom handbook says:
Brown: Talker B (Data-L)
White: Talker A (Data-H)
Green: Listener B (Data-L)
Yellow: Listener A (Data-H)

The Garmin 128 says:
Brown: NMEA IN
BLUE: NMEA OUT

This is double Dutch to me, I am a simple man who does not do electronics!

PLEASE, can anyone assist in words of one syllable?

Kind regards

Tony M.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nmea connections, Garmin 128 to Icom M323

Talker = Out
Listen = In

The Garmin talks to the ICOM so you connect Garmin Blue (talk) to Icom Green (Listen)

TonytheSailor

Recruit

Talker = Out
Listen = In

The Garmin talks to the ICOM so you connect Garmin Blue (talk) to Icom Green (Listen)

Thank you for that. I've connected garmin blue to icom Green but still get no input. Are the other colours irrelevant?

Kind regards

Tony M.

jhebert

Ensign

I describe a simple method for deducing interconnections of NMEA-0183 devices in

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: NMEA-0183 Interconnection Guide

If you follow the method, you will be able to figure out the interconnection of any device. Please forgive me for not working out the details of your connection. I spent my time working out the universal method, so all connections could be deduced. Just follow the method and you will have a success.

Also, I have worked out a universal connector configuration or wiring interface using a five-pole connector. You might be interested in the connectors used and the approach to interconnection, which is, again, a universal method that will allow any two devices to connect to each other. See

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: Universal NMEA-0183 Interface

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

TonytheSailor

Recruit

I describe a simple method for deducing interconnections of NMEA-0183 devices in

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: NMEA-0183 Interconnection Guide

If you follow the method, you will be able to figure out the interconnection of any device. Please forgive me for not working out the details of your connection. I spent my time working out the universal method, so all connections could be deduced. Just follow the method and you will have a success.

Also, I have worked out a universal connector configuration or wiring interface using a five-pole connector. You might be interested in the connectors used and the approach to interconnection, which is, again, a universal method that will allow any two devices to connect to each other. See

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: Universal NMEA-0183 Interface
Thank you for the link, it is very helpful. I still don't have a time and position readout but it looks as if, coincidentally with replacing my VHF, my GRmin has gone on strike and can't acquire satellites! I guess that takes priority......

:concern:

Regards

TonyM.