Minn Kota broken magnet - 65MX

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Last week we noticed a lot of racket coming from the trolling motor....an old Minn Kota 65MX 28lb 12v, 52". When I took it apart I saw that one of the two magnets had broken into two parts and were no longer attached to the housing. Finding another housing may be possible, in fact I am chasing one right now. But, if I can't get it is it possible to take the larger section of the magnet and JBweld it into the old housing to get me by for 2-3 more weeks. This old motor has done OK but was never meant for our boat (16' Starcraft) but it came with the boat and 52" motors are not cheap. I can still find a proper section later anyway and repair it for a spare etc. I planned to buy a 50-55 lb unit over the winter. The broken magnet broke so that the larger section is about 2/3 plus of the magnet. Can't see any way to attach the pcs back together as they now "fight" each other due to polarity......

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota broken magnet - 65MX

Nope, best to not waste your time on it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Magnets come loose in a variety of electric motors and can be epoxied back in place if done carefully. If there are just two pieces, epoxy (not JB weld) them straight and square outside the motor. When cured, epoxy them back into the housing. Cost is low, the motor is junk without them so give it a try. Bet it works fine. The magnet must not strike the armature when installed so clean the housing carefully before installing the magnet.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The structure of the magnet has been changed forever. Glued back together even if you could it will never be one piece of metal with one magnetic field again. I never saw a MK have the magnets come loose from the housing unless water got in. But being that old or taking a hit from something could do it. If you have spare time you may epoxy the larger piece back but you will have a lot of cleaning in the housing to do and you better have some great long nose clamps to get the piece back in place. It only rides just a little off the armature. While you are at clean the brush dust out of the armature. I owned a trolling motor shop for a few years. My opinion if you have a lot of time on your hands have at it. But I wouldn't bet on it

fishrdan

Admiral

Try Fish307 to see if they have the part. I bought several things from them, good selection of in-stock parts and reasonable prices.

Though, it may be cost prohibitive to fix that trolling motor, if the part is even available anymore...

MinnKota may be able to help also, sell you the parts needed.

Make sure to buy the seal kit if you're going to fix it......

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts... I was unable to buy the old 65MX on Ebay so I will try just using the large pc, which is about 2/3 of the original and see what happens. I was able to still use the motor even with the 2 pcs floating around in there so how fast it runs is unimportant. I hope to go on 2-3 more fishing excursions before hanging it up for the year and even half speed will do. I have an 8hp kicker that I use in conjunction with the trolling motor so as long as it runs and does not rub I hopefully will be OK. I hope to replace the old unit with a decent 50-55lb one this spring. But will also keep my eye open for parts just in case. I have made efforts to locate new parts but no luck.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I bought some marine epoxy and glued and clamped the larger pc in and set for 24hrs. Put the motor back together and so far it seems to be running well. Taking the boat our in the morning so will see what it does......