volvo sx outdrive WONT SHUT OFF.

david lazelle

Recruit
Hey fellows I have a question. my outdrive is in the complete down position, and I do mean complete down. its literally stuck in the dirt in my yard. After my wife made me aware of the problem I tried to raise the motor but had zero battery power. I switched the battery selector and the trim motor instantly started running on its own (in the down position). the only way I could stop it was to change the battery selector. I tried using the controls on the throttle to no avail. it has apparently run so long it ran a battery dry. Does anybody know what could cause this problem???.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo sx outdrive WONT SHUT OFF.

Stuck relay
Stuck switch.

My vote is for the switch. Take apart the control and disconnect the wires from the switch.

Bondo

Staff member

Stuck relay
Stuck switch.

My vote is for the switch. Take apart the control and disconnect the wires from the switch.

Ayuh,.... I'd rather poke 'round with a meter or test light 1st, then go to tearin' things apart,... ;)

Test the switch, 'n Test the solenoids/ relays,...

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On my control, takes a couple screws and you are right at the tilt switch. Depends on the control.

david lazelle

Recruit

On my control, takes a couple screws and you are right at the tilt switch. Depends on the control.

I think I might have figured it out. fellows. I found a similar thread in which the motor was stuck on in the up position. and someone said the switches are very sensitive to water (go figure ad on a boat no less). Anyway here in Austin Tx we have been under a major on going drought, the likes of I have never seen in my young 47 year life. But I digress, well we got rain just last week and it caught me with my pants down and boat cover off. remembered a recent issue with a swivel seat and a rubber boot. the very same boot that covers the tilt control thumb switch on my throttle. I tried spraying in there with compressed air then resorted to electrical "TUNER CLEANER"'. it worked fine after that. Now hopefully I can save my new battery that it drained dry for god knows how long. And on the search for a new or used rubber boot. Thank Ya'll very much for the VALUABLE help and advice that yall give freely .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depending on which control you have, the switches are pretty inexpensive. Have a picture of it?