Dual battery tender

Clothman

Cadet
My boat has two batteries and a switch where I can use either battery separately or together. I am not sure if they are the same age but I have been using them separately but alternating between the two each time I use the boat in case they don't have the same capacity to hold a charge. Is this a good idea or not necessary and I should just use them together?

Depending on your answer, I am wondering if I should get a battery tender for each battery for winter storage, if there is one tender that does two separate batteries, or if I should switch to use both batteries and use one battery tender? Thanks

Chris

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Dual battery tender

get one tender, and then swap it once a month or so.

alldodge

Staff member

My boat has two batteries and a switch where I can use either battery separately or together. I am not sure if they are the same age but I have been using them separately but alternating between the two each time I use the boat in case they don't have the same capacity to hold a charge. Is this a good idea or not necessary and I should just use them together?

Depending on your answer, I am wondering if I should get a battery tender for each battery for winter storage, if there is one tender that does two separate batteries, or if I should switch to use both batteries and use one battery tender? Thanks

Chris

There are a few different options, dual 3-stage battery charger, using 2 maintaners/tenders, battery Isolators, abttery Combiners, or relays.

Sounds like you don't have an issue with draining either battery while out running in your boat. Using them one at a time is an acceptable method, one which many use. I use Isolators and dual charging setup on my smaller boat. One is used for accessaries and the other is just to start the engine. Using the batteries together is fine while running, this way your charging both. Once you stop moving it to just one is a good thing incase the battery your using gets to low to start your engine. You probably know this but don't move the switch while the engine is running, your alternator could be damaged.

Most battery manufactures state to remove the battery for winter storage and put a 3-stage maintainer on them or bulk charge them every other month. The one below is what I use in my smaller boat

10-Amp Ring Terminal Dual Application Battery Charger 2611A - Guest - iboats

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

get the battery minder,you can charge two batteries at once.

PDubs

Seaman

What you are doing is a good idea, I used to do the same. Then I got the Guest 2611A and haven't worried about it since.