what size fuses would be ok? wiring nav lights, fish finder and bilge pump small boat

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey yall, i'm trying to complete my boat project and I'm getting closer to being done everyday. Wiring my accessories is literally one of the last 3 or 4 things I need to do list.

I am using a deep cycle RV/Marine battery and have already purchased and mounted my nav lights (bow and stern) as well as my fish finder (Garmin fish finder 90). Here is my issue, I cant seem to find the size fuses that the manuals and paper work on these items call for.

here's what I see per the paperwork that these items call for, and just so you know, my fuse block accepts the standard ATC style fuses, not the glass tube fuses.

Garmin fishfinder 90 - 2 amp fuse

Bow light - 2 amp fuse

Stern light - 1 amp fuse

bilge pump (1100 GPH)
pump itself says 2.5 amps and "5 Max. Fuse"
but the paper work that came with the pump says " 6 amp fuse "

I've checked all around Las Vegas and cant seem to find anyplace that sells the 1 amp and 2 amp fuses. or a 6 for that matter, but I've found 3 amp and 5 amp fuses.

The fish finder paper work says that if wiring to a fuse block instead of directly to the battery, to cut off the inline fuse that comes already attached to it and just run the wires through the fuse block with the right size fuse. I am going fishing this Friday morning and don't have time to order the ones I see all over ebay... any suggestions?

would it be okay to use the 3 amp fuse for the bow and stern lights? and maybe just a 5 for the bilge pump?? or would that create too much heat and put me at risk of starting a fire?

Re: what size fuses would be ok? wiring nav lights, fish finder and bilge pump small

fuses protect the wire and offer some protection to the item. In todays market we replace things that go wrong so if the fish finder slightly smokes at 2 amps it will get tossed in the trash just the same if it made a little more smoke at 3 amps. Use 3 and 5 amps. The wire to these items will be able to handle the increase in current long enough to pop the fuse before the wire / item becomes hot and causes a problem.