2 engines, GEN set, 3 batteries, 3 switches

TeamPCBeach

Seaman
I have a 1999 Doral with twin MERC 5.7 and a GENSET. I don't have schematics for the boat and want do some rewiring. I have a PORT, STBD and House battery with a switch for each. There is a battery isolator installed, but it is only attached to STBD engine and the PORT battery is not attached to it..

Can anyone point me to a proper wiring diagram for this setup?

Thanks.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 engines, GEN set, 3 batteries, 3 switches

Could I have fun with this one. Its depends on how far you want to go. But there are much better setups than what you have now. Do you have an on board charger? Air? Electronics? Winch? One battery for side or two?

Last edited:

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

I have the following on the boat

Battery charger, AC, winch, radar, cabin and cockpit friges. Currently have one battery per side and one house battery.

kahuna123

So when you say you want to do some rewiring what do you want to improve or accomplish

kahuna123

I forgot. What battery does your genset run off of?

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

The genset runs off the STBD battery. What I am trying to do is make sure all three batteries are charged from the engines and the battery charger. I think what I need to do is install a battery isolator that feeds all three batteries no matter which engine is running.

kahuna123

The genset should have its own battery isolated from everything else. The genset will charge its own battery when running. Safety issue is you lose burn down the engine batts you can start the gen and run the charger to get them up enough to start the engines.

On some of the large boats we had a switch to TEMP attach the gen batt to one of the engines (house whatever) in case it was dead. But in all cases the genset had its own. Be it smaller and only used for starting.