Navigation switch and related fuse

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok got most of the right fuses for everything else done . Iam going to use the setup found on the site here to do the bow and stern light http://forums.iboats.com/electrical...s-tracker-v17-re-installing-wires-506306.html

Iam using Led type for both lights , what size fuse should i use on the fuse block for it ? from the picture id go from fuse block to the center post of the switch , and the 2 center posts are jumped correct ?

Iam also considering doing this to the 2 led lights inside the boat aswell , any reason not to ?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Navigation switch and related fuse

Ok got most of the right fuses for everything else done . Iam going to use the setup found on the site here to do the bow and stern light http://forums.iboats.com/electrical...s-tracker-v17-re-installing-wires-506306.html

Iam using Led type for both lights , what size fuse should i use on the fuse block for it ? from the picture id go from fuse block to the center post of the switch , and the 2 center posts are jumped correct ?

Iam also considering doing this to the 2 led lights inside the boat aswell , any reason not to ?
Hi Shallowman. I'd install about a 5 amp fuse. 5 amps is smaller than the ampacity rating of the wire (assuming at least #16 AWG) and much larger than the load that the LED's will draw. This would provide a safe installation that isn't likely to let you down on the water.

Yes, the two centre posts are joined by a jumper wire (this enables power to both the nav light and the all-round light circuits).

The 2 LED lights inside the boat could be controlled by a simple single pole single throw (SPST) switch that has only 2 terminals. The switch for the nav lights and all-round light in the diagram is more complex, being a double pole double throw (DPDT) with centre off position. This gives you the option of having only the all-round light on when anchored, but nav lights and all-round light on when travelling, all controlled by one switch. - Grandad

Last edited:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On a DTDP switch, the jumper goes from output to output on the 'stern light' side of the switch. The input poles are jumped internally ...

Attachments

• NavSwitchWiring (Medium).jpg
    NavSwitchWiring (Medium).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On a DTDP switch, the jumper goes from output to output on the 'stern light' side of the switch. The input poles are jumped internally ...

No they don't. A DPDT switch is two separate switches inone housing operated by a single actuator. The line side is wired externally just like the load side.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did I get the first part correct? :facepalm: