89 Sea Ray radio installation help

JimTurkaly

Cadet
I recently purchased a Dual AF/FM/ CD player Marine Radio for my '89 Sea Ray. I hooked it up following all the instructions but the radio will not come on.

THINGS I did:

-Double checked to ensure the hot wire (RED) was connected to a Positive (+) source i.e. ignition switch.
-Double checked the ground wire (BLACK) was connected to another black wire (-) source.
-Double checked that the speakers wires were connected right.
-I even soldered all the wires and then taped over the connections.
-I even soldered the speaker wires on to the speakers. The first time I even connected and soldered the rear speaker wires up and since the radio did not come on I disconnected them
-Checked to ensure the antenna was plugged into the RADIO and followed the antenna wire up under the dash and it was fastened to a bolt coming out of the top of the dash. Question here - Do you think maybe the antenna wire could be bad or maybe the new ultra modern radio actually needs a antenna in order for it to work.
-I uninstalled the radio.
-I hooked up the old radio with a cassette player in it and it worked.
-I sent the RADIO back and requested a new one be sent assuming I got a DUD Radio.
Received the new Radio then installed it but IT WOULD NOT COME ON. WHAT CAN BE WRONG????
-Yes the KEY was turned to the ON position.

Thanks a bunch - Jim Turkaly

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: 89 Sea Ray radio installation help

have you read the installation manual?

NYBo

Admiral

What about the yellow wire? It also needs to be connected to battery +.

BTW, it's not a good idea to run the stereo through the ignition switch. The switch isn't designed to handle the load of accessories; just the gauges (and ignition circuit) should be wired to it for maximum reliability. Connect the stereo to an unused fuse on the fuse block.

Last edited:

JimTurkaly

Cadet

have you read the installation manual?

Right now the yellow wire is connected to the battery gauge. DO you think I should run a wire all the way to the battery? The yellow wire is for memory. I will attach the red wire to the battery gauge and see if that works. I did read the instruction manual. jimT

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Attaching to a guage is not attaching it directly to a battery........I've made this experience in the past.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Run the red and yellow(connected together) to a switch and then to their own separate fuse on your fuse panel. Connect the ground wire to the fuse panel ground bus. Don't assume that a black wire that you find is actually ground.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Connecting anythimg to the gauges is the same as connecting to the ignition switch. Don't do that.