Need advice... Fish finder GPS combo or separate?

Gonza6bb

Recruit
Hello all,

I need opinions which will help me decide please. I presently have a furuno 620 fish finder and a garmin 182c (older and outdated). I want to upgrade gps. Have my eye set on garmin 740. Should I sell both of my present units and get single unit with money from 620 and 182?
Or should I just keep my 620 and get a replacement for the 182c .(maybe a 541 or so) any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Need advice... Fish finder GPS combo or separate?

I bought a combined unit and I like having all the info on one screen.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm not a fan of combo units. Anyway you look at it, a combo is a compromise. Since no one manufacturer makes first in class sonar and GPS equipment, you either compromise performance or display size, sometimes both. Something about having all your eggs in one basket also comes to mind.

I run a Furuno 585 sounder and a Garmin 4208 GPS. Both units have 8" displays. What does a 16" combo run these days?

The 620 (6") is a good unit. The 182 is pretty much worthless at this point so selling both to fund a combo unit doesn't make sense.

Personally, I would keep the 620 and get the Gamin 740. The 740 has radar overlay capability so you have that option in the future if you want to add radar.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree. If you are happy with the current "locator" keep it. If the GPS needs updating, there are a gazillion to choose from including hand held units that you can use in the car as well. Buying a combo unit has the consequence if either function goes sour, you replace the entire unit. With separate units you have more flexibility in that regard.

NYBo

Admiral

A lot depends on the space you have available. If you have room for separate units of decent size, that's what I would go for.

Gonza6bb

Recruit

Thank you so much to everyone for your insights, quick replies and honesty! Helped me tremendously. I am staying with the furuno 620 and will upgrade to the garmin 740s.