Using Trim tab causes volt meter on starboard engine to drop to 0

rmorrison9773

Recruit
I have a 2001 Wellcraft 3700 Martinique that I purchased about a month ago. I noticed while running on Sunday when I used the Bennett Tabs the volt meter on my starboard engine dropped to 0. The tabs still worked normally! When I returned to the dock I did some basic troubleshooting which is listed below. If you have any ideas what the problem may be please let me know.

Starboard engine off, port engine running cycle tabs. Volt meter on port engine stays at 12+ volts

port engine off, key in on position for starboard engine, cycle tabs. Volt meter on starboard drops to 0

Starboard engine key on, port engine key on, cycle tabs. starboard volt meter drops to 0

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: Using Trim tab causes volt meter on starboard engine to drop to 0

Not being an expert, I will say that I have seen a draw from a bad solenoid or electric motor cause a lot more draw as it tries to do it's job.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 2001 Wellcraft 3700 Martinique that I purchased about a month ago. I noticed while running on Sunday when I used the Bennett Tabs the volt meter on my starboard engine dropped to 0. The tabs still worked normally! When I returned to the dock I did some basic troubleshooting which is listed below. If you have any ideas what the problem may be please let me know.

Starboard engine off, port engine running cycle tabs. Volt meter on port engine stays at 12+ volts

port engine off, key in on position for starboard engine, cycle tabs. Volt meter on starboard drops to 0

Starboard engine key on, port engine key on, cycle tabs. starboard volt meter drops to 0

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a Bad Ground issue to Me,....

Movin' this to the Electrical Forum,...

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

I am going to agree with Bond-O. Check and clean both ends of the black ground wire at the pump.

A faulty solenoid or pump will usually trip the 20 amp fuse or breaker in the system.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have a ground issue. I have seen a $2000 dollar stainless shaft ruined in a few days that had a similar problem.