Need Battery box with tray?

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
After a great weekend at the lake, my start battery has spilled a little acid into the tray. I had it checked and the battery was ok. I think the battery, turned with the caps to the rear, sloshed some be cause of a lot of starts tubing the kids all weekend. After looking around, I'm not satisfied with my options to secure my battery and protect my boat from corrosive spills. The trays will screw down and secure the battery, but only have a short side wall to contain any acid that may spill out. The tie down style for battery boxes lets it move around too much and I really prefer to access the top of my battery without having to remove a top. Are there any high wall trays available? Maybe a box secured in a tray? Thanks, Cliff

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Need Battery box with tray?

I use one of the enclosed style boxes and just didn't use the top.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

A cover over the battery is one of the things a Coast Guard inspection checks for.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

After a great weekend at the lake, my start battery has spilled a little acid into the tray. I had it checked and the battery was ok. I think the battery, turned with the caps to the rear, sloshed some be cause of a lot of starts tubing the kids all weekend. After looking around, I'm not satisfied with my options to secure my battery and protect my boat from corrosive spills. The trays will screw down and secure the battery, but only have a short side wall to contain any acid that may spill out. The tie down style for battery boxes lets it move around too much and I really prefer to access the top of my battery without having to remove a top. Are there any high wall trays available? Maybe a box secured in a tray? Thanks, Cliff
I'm not sure the need for having the top of your battery exposed. I think the enclosed box is the best choice. I agree that the webbing straps supplied with the boxes are inadequate. I suggest that you make a wood tray to contain a closed battery box that will contain the battery and it's corrosive materials. You could still use the straps to hold the box down while the tray stops the box from sliding around. Here's how I did mine. - Grandad

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A cover over the battery is one of the things a Coast Guard inspection checks for.
Not needed if the battery is an engine compartment or an enclosed area.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your pics give me ideas Grandad! Thanks for letting us see your good looking, clean setup. Cliff

Last edited:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think they're checking to see if the positive terminals are protected from shorts, like with those rubber booties ...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I think they're checking to see if the positive terminals are protected from shorts, like with those rubber booties ...

That is correct, but if it is its own compartment or the motor compartment, it dose not need a cover. A lot of brand new boats come with battery's only sitting in a tray.