Guest battery charger

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I am thinking about buying a Guest 2613A charger. I just don't like the idea of the short cables that come on the charger, six foot power cord and four foot battery cables. Can the battery cables from the charger stay hooked up all of the time while the boat is underway without having to switch anything out? I can reach the two batteries in the front with the four foot cables that come with the charger but I would need a long run to the starting battery at the stern. Would the long run of cable reduce the amount of charge to the battery? My long range goal is to be able to charge the batteries on-board during boating season and then maintain them in the garage during the winter while storing the boat outside.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Guest battery charger

That charger puts out 5 amps per battery. For longer runs I would be very careful with stock thin wire and long runs. I would get some nice wire and make the longer runs. Long runs wont reduce the amount of charge, its the heat that will melt a thin wire, and strain on the charger that you need to eliminate with thicker wire. Yes you can leave the charger hooked up without switching/unhooking anything when you go out. That charger has ignition protection.

UncleWillie

Captain

... Can the battery cables from the charger stay hooked up all of the time while the boat is underway without having to switch anything out?
... Would the long run of cable reduce the amount of charge to the battery? ...

The charger is intended to be be permanently installed in the boat with the connections attached to the batteries all the time.
Extending the charge cable to the far battery is not an issue as long as you use a reasonable gauge wire. (16 AWG)

You plug it into 120 volts at the house and just unplug the 120v and go! Don't over think this.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of the advice. I tried calling the company to ask tech. support a few questions but the 888 and the 707 numbers are no longer working. Looks like I will go with this charger and a couple of long cables to the starter battery.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did I just read your last post correctly? Did you just say you're going to buy a charger from a company that you couldn't reach for their technical support?

Ah..... You sure you want to do that?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did I just read your last post correctly? Did you just say you're going to buy a charger from a company that you couldn't reach for their technical support?

Ah..... You sure you want to do that?
Guest is probably the #1 seller of on-board battery chargers.

Contact info is on this page:
Contact Us | Marinco

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Yes! The number has been changed. The technical service department number is (203) 235-4421 now. I'm guessing that the company has changed some management along the line and that this is why they have a new number. This is the number that comes with the instructions for the charger now. I am still hooking the new charger up on the boat. I have extended the cables to the trolling motor and anchor batteries five foot longer with #10 marine grade wire. I am mounting the charger in the back of the steering console. I have #10 wire running from the starting battery to the console already so hooking up there should be convenient. I am mounting the charger in a way that it will have all the fresh air it needs for cooling but it will be hidden from sight the rest of the time. You may mean well but #16 wire is not very heavy at all. I very seldom use anything smaller than #12 for anything.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

Agree, Bigger is better.

16 ga. wire has .004016 Ohms per foot. Rated to carry 13 amps in conduit and 23 amps in open air.
10 feet, 5 out and 5 back, will drop 0.2 volts at the 5 amp max output deliver by the charger at the beginning of the charge cycle,
and well less than 0.1 volts for the majority of the charge. It would make little difference.

The charger would still deliver the same amount of current and the battery would reach the same terminal voltage.
The less than 2.5 Max Watts of heat distributed across 10 feet of wire would be barely noticeable.

Yes, 16 ga. is minimal, but so are your needs.
Going to 12 ga. reduced the losses by 2.5x.