Bayliner BR 185 Navigation Switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

alankalb

Recruit
I am trying to replace a Carling amber lighted tip switch that controls my navigation lights.
The switch has 8 pins, three switch positions on/off/on
Unfortunately I found the existing switch broken and hanging loose when I opened up my boat.
I know the switch controls the bow light, rear stern light, and it also illuminates the gauges on the boat.

The wires to the switch are numbered as follows:
#5 Blue wire - I am guessing it is a 12v power
#6 Blue wire - Also a 12v power?
#7 Grey wire -
#8 Grey with blue stripe -?
#9 Grey with blue stripe -?
#10 yellow - I think this is the neutral
Trying to determine the function of each wire and its location on the switch.
Any help would be appreciated!

tdshepard

Cadet
Re: Bayliner BR 185 Navigation Switch wiring

Go to bayliner.com and look under customer support. You can download your owners manual there. The latest years won't have the complete legend so keep going older until you find a year with complete electrical legend ( like 2005) believe me they haven't changed that much.
I see GY is stern, GY-Bl is anchor light, BL is 12 v, there is no neutral on a boat (Y is ground). Look at all the guages, do they have a light blue for all the illumination bulbs? That would be clue on how to power them up.....
Power your switch to a fused spade on the fuse block and have fun!
Don't overthink this. Use an ohm meter to see which poles have continuity when you flip switch. Use a 12 volt jumper to see what lights up when you apply power!

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Or just get a new switch and swap the wires over to it, one at a time.

alankalb

Recruit

Thanks for the info on getting the Wiring diagrams from a previous year. Very good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.