Mercruiser Trim Switch replacement

MPDXTREME

Recruit
Here is the story so far. I have a 2002 EbbTide 210 Campione and so far it has performed flawlessly. Earlier this summer the trim switch started workingintermittently. If I wiggled/pressed the switch the right way it would work so I decided to replace the switch. I hope the following pictures and brief description of what I have done hlps someone else.

Here goes

this is the controller I have

this is the part that I replaced

two of the tools needed. THe other is an 11/16 standard 3/8 drive ratchet, socket, and extension.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

MPDXTREME

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser Trim Switch replacement

Sorry I didn't get more done last night, life got in the way. Here goes

First thing, this needs to come out, preferrably without breaking it like I did. This allows you to rev the engine without engaging the drive. It is supposed to pop right out but mine was stuck. After the end broke off I had to use vice grips and pull like crazy to get it out.

Once thats out this is what you will see

This is what comes out next. Its an 11/16. It has thread lock on it from the factory so most likely it will be tight

This is out of sequence, sorry. The plastic around the handle is held in by 5 T10 screws.

MPDXTREME

Recruit

Once the plastic is off the handle this is what it should look like

Thd handle is splined and will slide off. Once off the 4 wires split around the pivot point.

Notice the colors of the wires and that 2 go on each side. Red and blue on one side and purple and green on the other side.

MPDXTREME

Recruit

On the inside at the base of the handle there is a triangle shaped piece thats held in with 2 T10 screws. Take them out and here is the backside. Side note and I didnt get a picture, notice the routing of the wires when you take the triangle piece off, if they dont go back the same way they will interfere with the operation of the neutral lock assy.

This piece is what locks the handle into the Neutral position. Here is the button, cable, and lock assy

Now set the handle and other parts aside and pull your trim switch out. The next thing you will fine is that the connector WILL NOT easily pull through. Here is where I used the big pry bar but a big screwdriver will work just as well. DO NOT pry hard against the control box, its either aluminum or some kind of cast metal and I am sure its brittle.

Here is another pic of the connector not fitting back through that opening without prying

MPDXTREME

Recruit

Assembly is basically the reverse of dissambly. The neutral lock needs to be depressed so it will fit inside where its supposed to.

Also during assembly make sure that the neutral lock cable is in the correct position on white roller piece. It goes on the side of the roller nearest the trim switch just like inthe picture.

Last thing to watch on reassembly is this, when taking the triangle piece off, the screws go into two cast bosses (for lack of a better technical term) and the wires have to go to the outside of the bosses so they dont interfere with the neutral lock. Just notice where they are when you take it apart.

I hope this little bit of tech will help someone down the road. I was fortunate that a freind of mines family used to own the EbbTide dealership here in Memphis and he walked me through the process giving tips as we went along. The whole process took about 2 hrs and that included a few adult beverages and a lot of phone calls and texting pictures. If I had to do it again it probably wouldnt take 45 minutes. Its not a hard job.

The other thing that I should've said at the beginning was this, There are steps to check the switch, sensor, and limit switch to determine which one is bad. I determined that the switch was bad becasue I could change pressure and wiggle the switch to make it work thats why I started there.

The cost of the part was 84.99 at the local dealership. Ther are available online for $55 on ebay (I'm impatient).

I think my controller is a Mercruiser 3000.

Now that you know how to fix your boat get after it and go boating.

See ya on the water
Greg G