Shore power connected to portabel generator 5500/6875

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm still a newbie, but learning alot about boats....now i want to learn more about shorepower.

Can i connect my shorepower to my portable generator with 5500 running watt and 6875 starting watt. I bought a pig tail from west marine, thinking i can just simply connect, but before i do that i wanted to ask the experts.

boat
1989 Regal 255xl
454cu

thanks guys.

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shore power connected to portabel generator 5500/6875

KX6D - Thank you....will read up. been googling like a mad man trying to find my answer...don't want to blow anything up in the boat.

UncleWillie

Captain

The generator has a 20 amp limit and the 30 amp shore power plug is not going to fit.
The generator was never meant to be run at 20 amps Continuous. 10-15 OK.

The power monitor is a useful device for collecting power use information on one appliance under 20 amps.

Connecting to the generator is very possible.
How does all this fit together in your plans?
What are you really trying to do? Power the boat on a beach?

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uncle, thanks for chiming in, I'm just wanting to make sure everything works when plugged in, I just purchased the boat, this will only be done in my driveway just to test ecerything out and recharge my dual batteries. Sorry should of specified my intentions, just don't want to bl

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uncle, thanks for chiming in. I just want to make sure everything works When plugged in. This will be done in my driveway. Just purhased the boat. Don't want to fryn anything in the boat. Sorry should of specified what I was trying to do. Just make sure my water heater/battery charger are In working oder. I should be on right?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Shore power connected to portable generator 5500/6875

Re: Shore power connected to portable generator 5500/6875

...this will only be done in my driveway just to test everything out and recharge my dual batteries...

In that case, It would be much simpler and cheaper to just plug it into the house.

A 30 amp to 20 amp Twist-Lock adapter is going to cost more and be less useful than an adapter that plugs into a standard 20 amp household outlet. It would also fit the generator if you are really intent on doing that.
You will burn more gas than the battery is worth if you try to recharge it from the generator. Figure a gallon an hour.

Generator 5kWH = $5-$10.00
House 5kWH = $0.35

Last edited:

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Uncle, owe you a beer!