What size battery cable

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class
What size cable should I use for my battery to starter,my engine is Volvo 5.7 ltr

Cheers

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: What size battery cable

Typical size for that size engine would be #2 AWG or larger.

jhebert

Ensign

The proper size cable for any power distribution depends on the length of the cable. Without knowing the distance between the battery and the starter motor, as well as the current needed for the starter motor, the proper cable size cannot be chosen.

jhebert

Ensign

At a distance of only 4-feet, you can select the wire size based on its rated current capacity for power distribution as listed in a table in this article:

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire strength

The 2-AWG conductor suggested is rated for 94-Amperes. This means that it can deliver that current with less than a 3-percent voltage drop over a distance equal to the twice the system voltage. In this case, the system voltage is 12-Volts so the distance a 2-AWG can carry 12-Volts at 94-amperes with only a 3-percent drop is 24-feet. The 2-AWG can be run up to 12-feet, that is, 12-feet out and 12-feet back for a total of 24-feet, and will deliver the rated current with less than 3-percent voltage drop.

Electric starting motors have a peak current draw when they are first energized and there is no movement. As the starter motor speed increases, the current draw decreases.

Last edited: