DIY Project, Switch Panel with backlit legends

Splat

Lieutenant
This came up in another thread, so I thought it may be relevant to post some ideas I'm working on.

Two things, excuse the super crude mock up, and excuse the super cluttered garage. It's a never ending work in progress.

I always liked the look of those custom switch panels with the lite up legends, but they are very proud of them$, plus they mostly have to be custom ordered. SO I decided to experiment a bit and see if I could come up with a viable solution.... Hey I like to tinker.

I used photoshop to design a panel then printed it out with a laser printer on frisket paper. Frisket is just like tracing paper, it's water resistant, and allows light to pass as it is semi-opaque.

I mounted the printed frisket paper printed side forward to a piece of .093 lexan, I than sandwiched it to a piece of .230 lexan as a backer. I simply used clamps to hold the mock up together for proof of concept, however the finished product will be sandwiched and epoxied together to eliminate any condensation forming between the panels. I plan to use a thinned out epoxy brushed on, then lay the frisket, rub out any air bubbles, apply more epoxy and lay the thicker panel on top to cure. this will create a incredibly durable panel.

The thicker lexan panel in the rear is important. This allows more room between the led's and the back of the frisket paper, thus allowing the beams of the individual led's to diffuse.

On back of the rear panel I simply attached some strip led's to a few blocks I had laying around, and power them up.

Obviously the finished product will be cleaned up, and trimmed, like I said Proof on concept.

Total cost will be somewhere around $10 plus cost of switches.

Hope this gives some people some ideas for a DIY.

Bill

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: DIY Project, Switch Panel with backlit legends

Very Impressive Splat. I look forward to seeing the finished panel. One niggling point that's probably best brought to your attention now, rather than later; check the spelling of "bilge". - Grandad

Splat

Lieutenant

LOL! Yup you're right. Apparently spell check doesn't work on photoshop. I'd like to say my fingers slipped, but nope, spelled that one wrong all on my own. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

fishrdan

Admiral

That's friggin cool looking Splat!

2 things, how UV resistant is the ink used in the printer, is it going to fade out over time? Also, epoxy will yellow with UV exposure, though I think I've seen some epoxies with UV inhibitors in them, to keep them from yellowing. Fishing rod finish might be another option as it doesn't yellow, or is not supposed to yellow.

Splat

Lieutenant

You know what, that's a damn good question.... And may be kyptonite to this whole project..... I'm using a laser printer, I don't know if toner will fade with uv exposure. I know inkjet will be faded in just a few days without some type of protection.

I was planning on using some resin I have left over from a table project I made a while back. It's TAP brand I believe, it is UV stable, and I know the lexan is as well. I wonder if the lexan will block UV... I'm sending a email to Paskolite right now.

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant

Just did some quick googling, the toner I use should be fairly UV stable and should not fade quickly. Tho if you could find a panel that blocks UV light is should last indefinitely.

I know they make acrylic that is archival safe, for protecting photographs and documents. I'm waiting to her if the stuff home depot sells made by Plaskolite has such properties.

They sell a sheet that can be printed on then transferred by heating with a iron I was wondering if that would work if transferred to lexan

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Just did some quick googling, the toner I use should be fairly UV stable and should not fade quickly.

You better Google chemical resistance of Lexan while you at it. Solvents and polycarbonates typically don't play well together.

Splat

Lieutenant

What solvent are we speaking of?

Splat

Lieutenant

Hmmm... I've used this lexan in projects before with the epoxy, I've never noticed a problem, but I certainly appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

I designed the panel fully last night and printed it out, tonight I plan to sammich it all together and see how it all works together. I'll report back any problems.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just have a sign shop print it out in vinyl (reversed) and stick it to the back, No need for two pieces of lexan. Or you can stick it on the front. Also. You could place the lettere on the back & spray paint it, Pull the letters off and done - the 2 pieces seems like trouble to keep moisture out.

LK

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant

Just have a sign shop print it out in vinyl (reversed) and stick it to the back, No need for two pieces of lexan. Or you can stick it on the front. Also. You could place the lettere on the back & spray paint it, Pull the letters off and done - the 2 pieces seems like trouble to keep moisture out.

LK
Thought of that. My plotter won't cut letters as small as I need for this project. It's worth a shot to contact a local shop with a better quality machine and see if they can do it, tho I doubt it. Also the idea was to come up with a idea someone could do completely at home.

Alwhite00

Thought of that. My plotter won't cut letters as small as I need for this project. It's worth a shot to contact a local shop with a better quality machine and see if they can do it, tho I doubt it. Also the idea was to come up with a idea someone could do completely at home.

I just feel the one piece would hold up better.

LK

Splat

Lieutenant

Durability would be about the same in my opinion, would be a heck of a lot easier for sure.

Alwhite00

Durability would be about the same in my opinion, would be a heck of a lot easier for sure.

unless moisture gets between the two panels.

LK

I wonder what it would cost to have a silk screen negative made. I know guys use to make there own dash backgrounds years ago at the company I worked for (when white dash backgrounds with black letters were all the rage).

Splat

Lieutenant

I ran a printed copy of what I want made up to my local sign guy. He cringed a little at the size of the font but said he would give it a shot.

Since I already had the file prepared for my plotter it will only cost me the vinyl and his time. No setup and digitizing charge. Should know in a day or two if it worked.

I brought the one piece of lexan in to work with me today to drop it in the sandblaster to frost it.