Minn Kota PowerDrive v1 CoPilot

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I have a 70PD Minn Kota PowerDrive v1 from about 2007-2008.

My last fishing trip the motor stopped working, when you press the peddal, you hear *Click* as always, but the motor doesn't spin.

I took it to a Minn Kota Authorized service center and they said the "Main Board" blew and would need to be replaced..

They said it will be just under $200 to repair.

I looked up on ebay for PowerDrive main board and found what I believe is the part they said needs to be replaced and it was only ~$70..

I've been wanting to add the CoPilot so I can use the wireless remote. I am wondering if adding the CoPilot replaced the very main board that I need to replace? Or if I will still have to replace the main board to use the CoPilot?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive v1 CoPilot

Copilot is an external add on and has nothing to do with motor speed voltage control. It sends signals to speed controler on the main board. The controler in the head can be replaced in 15 minutes if you have done it before, and an hour if you haven't. Take pictures before you start although the instructions are good. Do not buy this off of Ebay go direct to Minn Kota (almost the same) price their phone and your model number is on the underside of the head. Their techs are very good and they ship quickly. If your unit is not an autopilot unit you might want to upgrade if you can, it is worth every penny!!!! Good Luck!

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Copilot is an external add on and has nothing to do with motor speed voltage control. It sends signals to speed controler on the main board. The controler in the head can be replaced in 15 minutes if you have done it before, and an hour if you haven't. Take pictures before you start although the instructions are good. Do not buy this off of Ebay go direct to Minn Kota (almost the same) price their phone and your model number is on the underside of the head. Their techs are very good and they ship quickly. If your unit is not an autopilot unit you might want to upgrade if you can, it is worth every penny!!!! Good Luck!

Hi Star, Thanks for the info.

My unit is Not an autopilot, The main board is in the head? I thought it was in the mounting base?! It looked like from the pictures on eBay that the wires connected with quick connect clips, this it wouldn't even need to be soldered..

So I can call MinKota give them my model # and they will sell me the part? That's good to know, I didn't know that was an option..

AutoPilot just keeps the boat on the same course right? To add it all I have to do is purchase a different main board? Minn Kota will help me with that? (Companies don't usually like to help customer upgrade their equiptment)

Thanks,

-TheChad

Last edited:

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Minn Kota is a very good company. The autopilot unit is a main board with a compass controller on it, the install may take some modifiction to the cover. As I reread your post I thought you had a V2, the V1 will not take the autopilot modual, but minn kota will tell you that for sure. The autopilot allows you to stay on a compass heading automaticly without your intervention. the new ipilot uses a gps to control your course.