dead batteries while on shore power

jobofly

Seaman
so i finally hook my boat to shore power and havent been back to it for a couple of weeks and now my batteries are dead. on the shore power control panel if i hit the test switch the reversed polarity light lights up......what does that mean? i have tried different shower power plugs and the meter on my power panel is showing 110Volts

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: dead batteries while on shore power

Reverse Polarity light On with test switch usually indicates that you have an open shore power ground and are at risk of electrifying the water around the boat.
This condition can cause extreme corrosion to your boat and nearby boats and can potentially fatally electrocute any one in the water within 100 feet of your boat.

Unplug the Boat NOW! And resolve the problem soon.

When attached to shore power and assuming you have an on-board battery charger; The batteries should measure at least ~14 volts.

What boat do you have and what does the electrical panel look like? Pictures Please!

jobofly

Seaman

From what I read, if the reverse polarity lights up by itself when plugged in then there is a problem. So it looks like the plug is fine and power is showing on the meter on the power panel. S it looks like power is not getting beyond the power panel in the boat.

UncleWillie

Captain

Again! What boat do you have and what does the electrical panel look like?
What is the Battery Voltage?

Assuming the boat is sitting in the water and not on a trailer... (Please Confirm this ???) ...
The first indication of trouble is the boat panel reporting 110 volts.

Assuming that is an accurate number...
Measure the Voltage at the shore pedestal. 125 volts?
With the same meter, Measure the voltage on an outlet in the cabin. 110 volts?

The missing 15 volts is leaking into the water and is a Deadly Serious Issue. Do not Blow this off!