I guess the next step is to replace the sender?

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,

I guess the next step is to replace the sender. As you can see in the pic, the sender has a manual gauge on top. The manual gauge works fine so I guess that the float is okay, the gauge at the helm is not (as it jumps back and forth).

Questions:

Are the 2 black wires coming out of the black cap on top of the gauge sending wires and are they both connected to the gauge at the helm?

How do I remove the black cap? Do I pry it off, pull it off, twist it off?

Are those allen screws holding the sender to the fuel tank?

I am having difficulty finding online information specific to marine sender installation. I also can?t find a sender with the manual gauge on top. Is it that none of them come with a manual gauge and you must attach a conversion capsule on top of the sender?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

sender02.jpg

Re: I guess the next step is to replace the sender?

never seen one like that but it basically works by the float turning the shaft that indicates the level as well as turning a pot (variable resistor) that changes the resistance between the black wires. One should be grounded somewhere I would have guessed and the other is connected to the sense terminal of the gauge. The problem is probably that the pot has a build up on the end of the contact so you may be able to remove the allen screws then work the float manually so the point gets a quick tip clean as its being turned.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the valuable info glenn property of pam I greatly appreciate it. Here's what I am now guessing. My boat has a mechanical sender originally equipped with a "Direct Site Gauge." The direct site gauge was replaced (probably by hurricane) with a conversion capsule which converts the fuel level reading from a standard direct site gauge to electric dash-mounted gauge (33-240 Ohms). Here's a pic of a Moeller conversion capsule.

Does anyone agree with this theory?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

coversiongauge01.jpg

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First make sure the tank has a GREAT ground. Then ground the sending wire from the tank and the gauge should peg full. That proves you have a good ground to the tank. Then for 10 cents from radio shack get a 33 Ohms resister in line with the sending unit wire ground it to the tank and see what the gauge shows. Still should show full or very close. There is always an adjustment on the sender. Then try a 200 ohm inline and it should read almost empty. It the gauge is good you will know. I installed many with sight and senders.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kahuna123 for the advice.