basic fishfinder/gps chartplotter?

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well my ancient hummingbird fishfinder died last weekend , so im looking for a good basic gps finder (nothing to fancy) I pretty much cruise around and do some fishing but nothing to serious. You might be asking why I need gps, well couse I think it would be cool! Im looking at the basic lawrance models, they seem to be the most budget friendly. Let me kno if you guys have any suggestions.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: basic fishfinder/gps chartplotter?

The elite 4 works well and the cost is very low, $200.00 for B&W $300.00 for color

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

The elite 4 works well and the cost is very low, $200.00 for B&W $300.00 for color
Ok thanks, I was looking at the color model, I think it said that the map card wasn't included, how much are they? Or does it even need it?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Ok thanks, I was looking at the color model, I think it said that the map card wasn't included, how much are they? Or does it even need it?

It depends on the lakes you want to have maps of and which card manufacture you go with. I have a Lakemaster SD card for Wisconsin that I picked up for $99. Most of them that I have seen go form $60 to $150 but it depends on how big of a region they cover.

UncleWillie

Captain

The HB386 is a comparable unit.
The built in maps will be more than needed to find your way back to the dock.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

My buddy bought one of these. A nice basic unit for little $$.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I bought the Elite gold version that comes with the card ( $369.00), for where I fish there is very little difference between what comes loaded already and the Navionics card, so I doen't ever use it. But it may be different for your location.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks guys, im trying to decide between the elite 4 and the humminbird 386ci. The elete 4 is like 20bucks cheeper, not sure why, they both come with upgradable base maps, from what I can see the 386ci is alittle more powerful its got more wattage, wherever that means. Guess ill think about it alittle more.

agallant80

Commander

I have the lowrance Elite 7 and love it. I think Lowrance makes great products.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it worth getting the di (downscan imaging) model? Or just go with standard sonar

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It depends on what you plan to do with it, for me the normal style better.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

It depends on what you plan to do with it, for me the normal style better.
Mostly for depth readings, i was wondering if the di would make it easier to find places bass/fish like to hide in, or is the normal style just as easy to interpret?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Mostly for depth readings, i was wondering if the di would make it easier to find places bass/fish like to hide in, or is the normal style just as easy to interpret?
IMHO DI is pretty useless. It doesn't work at speed, it doesn't work well with waves/chop and it doesn't work well in deeper water.

DI is purely visual. An underwater black and white picture. Great for creating cool pictures to post on the internet. Not so good for actually catching fish.

In comparison, "good" conventional color sonar is like an MRI. It penetrates the objects and displays the change in density in color. It will detect and display things that you couldn't see visually, i.e. the disturbed water created by a school of bait too small to be detected individually. On my sounder, they show up as a very faint blue haze. A very faint blue haze on the bottom = flounder around here. With some experience, you can even tell what species of fish your looking by the return patterns.

Last edited:

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Allright guys, thanks for all the help. I purchased a humminbird 385ci di combo ($330 ebay) good deal i think and it allows you to switch between standard and di sonar, unlike the elite 4.