Do newer Minn Kota's seem not as powerful as rated?

hedp

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced a 13 year old Minn Kota All-Terrain 42lbs thrust bow mount with a new Minn Kota Terrova 80lbs thrust. I put it on a Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk.

I really like the new motor a lot but I did notice that it has about the same speed as the older 42lbs thrust All-Terrain. I brought this up to my friend and he said the same thing about his dad's newer trolliing motor. He two switched from an older bow mount to a newer bow mount which was more powerful and his actually felt slower he said.

Has anyone else had this type of experience, with a newer, higher rated trolling motor being the same or less powerful than an older lower rated trolling motor?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Do newer Minn Kota's seem not as powerful as rated?

Electric trolling motors all top out at around the same speed. Higher thrust will get a heavier boat to that speed. So if your old motor got you up to its top speed, you won't go faster with a motor with more thrust. However you WILL notice a difference when you are fighting a headwind, which is like having a larger, heavier boat.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Electric trolling motors all top out at around the same speed. Higher thrust will get a heavier boat to that speed. So if your old motor got you up to its top speed, you won't go faster with a motor with more thrust. However you WILL notice a difference when you are fighting a headwind, which is like having a larger, heavier boat.

Weird. I don't understand why it won't make it go faster?

Isn't it if you put a bigger outboard on a boat it will go faster?

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't the 80# terinova a 24 volt system?

matt167

Captain

Trolling motors are different in that respect. They are measured in thrust which is not relative to speed.. The speed at which the motor is pushing is the same as a larger motor with more push. More thrust has the ability to move a larger vessel

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Trolling motors are different in that respect. They are measured in thrust which is not relative to speed.. The speed at which the motor is pushing is the same as a larger motor with more push. More thrust has the ability to move a larger vessel

Well, it said its going 3mph. So I guess that's right. Guess everything is good.

It is 24v. I'm running two 12v's in series.

bassman284

Commander

Well, I know the theory but I also know that my current 55 lb PD V2 is about 20% slower than my 47 lb Maxxum was and it does NOT pull any better into the wind, if as well.

NYBo

Admiral

You can go with a prop with greater pitch for higher speed with a gas outboard. Different pitch props for electric trolling motors aren't readily available, AFAIK.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I know the theory but I also know that my current 55 lb PD V2 is about 20% slower than my 47 lb Maxxum was and it does NOT pull any better into the wind, if as well.

Interesting.

natedogg3991

Cadet

Could it be something to do with changes to the prop?