Will this 24v plug work for my Minn Kota Terrova 24v trolling motor?

hedp

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 Crestliner Fishhawk and will be installing the new 24v Minn Kota Terrova 80lbs Ipilot trolling motor. I can either hard-wire it or use a plug. The boat currently has a 42lbs. thrust Minn Kota All Terrain that is plugged in with a 12v/24v 4 prong Marinco plug.

If I hardwired the new motor, I'd have to remove the plug receptacle and leave a hole there. If I just used the current plug I would just have to remove the old wire and wire in the new Terrova into the current plug, thus not changing much.

Can I just remove the wire from the plug of the old trolling motor and install the new wire into the existing plug?

If I can't, will this plug from Menards work? It looks like it's the exact same thing. It's only 30amps though, so I'm not sure if that's enough. It's considerable cheaper than the Minn Kota one.

Also, are there any pro/cons with hard-wiring over using a plug?

Current one:

Menards one:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Will this 24v plug work for my Minn Kota Terrova 24v trolling motor?

A 30 amp plug is not big enough. However your Marinco will work just fine. You will only use 2 of the 4 connections.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

A 30 amp plug is not big enough. However your Marinco will work just fine. You will only use 2 of the 4 connections.

Would I use all 4 if it was 36v?

fishrdan

Admiral

Keep the Marinco, it's one of the best plug/sockets you can get. That Home Depot socket might look right, but I doubt the pins are correct,,, and the brass will tarnish (power loss).

You will need to check the receptacle to see how it's wired, see if each battery is wired independently (4 wires) or the batteries wired in parallel (2 wires) for the old 12V TM. That system is designed to have all 4 wires from 2 batteries going to the receptacle, so the 12 or 24V selection can be made at the plug, but who knows how it was wired.

If the receptacle has the batteries wired independent... The plug will get parallel jumpered for 12V operation, or series jumpered for 24V operation. See Marinco's website for wiring instructions.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Keep the Marinco, it's one of the best plug/sockets you can get. That Home Depot socket might look right, but I doubt the pins are correct,,, and the brass will tarnish (power loss).

You will need to check the receptacle to see how it's wired, see if each battery is wired independently (4 wires) or the batteries wired in parallel (2 wires) for the old 12V TM. That system is designed to have all 4 wires from 2 batteries going to the receptacle, so the 12 or 24V selection can be made at the plug, but who knows how it was wired.

If the receptacle has the batteries wired independent... The plug will get parallel jumpered for 12V operation, or series jumpered for 24V operation. See Marinco's website for wiring instructions.

It was a 12v TM and only had 1 battery, so I'm assuming I'll have to re-wire the current one from the socket to the batteries, right?