Bilge Pump Automatic Float Switch Bilge Pump Installation Help

JohnMetta

Cadet
I have a 1998 SeaRay Bowride OB with a Attwood V450. It has 2 wires coming off of it. I only have and on/off switch on the dashboard of the boat. I want to install and automatic float switch. Can someone help me out with how to properly wire it?

Thanks in advance

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bilge Pump Automatic Float Switch Bilge Pump Installation Help

I put one in my john boat all you need to do is install it in line with the power wire but you will need to have the switch on all the time the best way would be to wire it up direct so you don't forget and shut the switch off but in my john boat it works for me.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The switch needs to be wired in line to a power source that is on all the time. Preferably directly to the battery.

That will allow your dash switch to still work and the automatic switch to over ride it.

Find the power wire for the pump. (+).

Splice in the one end of the automatic switch wire.

Run the other AUTO SWITCH WIRE to the + battery terminal.

JohnMetta

Cadet

how do i know which is the power wire? Also, am i supposed to put a fuse somewhere?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With a test light, you can figure out which one is +. Or, just trace it down. I would be surprised if your pump does not already have a fuse or breaker under the dash.

JohnMetta

Cadet

so i should just wire it in with the current config? That means i would have to leave my bilge switch in the on position all the time right

NYBo

Admiral

No. Here is the way I would recommend: battery + => fuse => float switch => tap into existing power line from dash switch

This sets up a separate power path through the float switch, which is always energized unless you remove the fuse. No problem with forgetting to flip the switch to the proper position to ensure automatic operation say, while you leave the boat unattended. The current manual switch on the dash will continue to operate as usual. Fleetwin is suggesting the same setup.

EDIT: If you're going to leave the boat unattended for any length of time, an automatic resetting circuit breaker might be a better bet instead of a fuse on the float switch circuit.

Last edited:

JohnMetta

Cadet

ok thank you. What is the point of the bus bar?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You may already have one. Its a neater installation than running all the grounds back to the battery.

JohnMetta

Cadet

If the float goes bad, the manual switch will or will not work.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manual switch will work if the float goes bad on both wiring diagrams. Use the frist one or the one on the left it is the best way.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

This is the circuit that I like. The three position switch gives you ultimate control.
ON - (up?) manually use this when you want to test the pump or bypass an inoperative float switch.
OFF - center position for when you want the pump off regardless of what stuck float switch decides.
AUTO - (down?) leaving the switch in this position gives automatic control to the float switch when you're not around.
- Grandad

Live-liner

Seaman

Not "if", but "when the float goes bad!. I can never get much more than two seasons out of mine.....
It is a great peace of mid to have, even in your driveway. Enough rainwater with the plug in the transom will cause you issues!

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grandad That is how the second option is on my wiring diagram. The only thiong about that option is if you have a master off switch that cuts the power off from your fuse panel. then it wont run automaticly.