Help on installing an Onboard Charger, Batteries, and Circuit Breaker

hedp

Seaman Apprentice
So I've decided on getting a Dual Pro 3 Bank 15amp PS3 Onboard charger. I already have 2 batteries up in the bow and although they aren't the same exact brand I'm going to use them until they are done and then get a pair of matching batteries. I figure it's a waste to just throw them away and not use them. They are both about 2-3 years old. I also have 1 starter battery in the back of the boat. I will be installing a 80lbs. Terrova with Ipilot and US2 with a 60" shaft. I have a 2000 Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk.

So here's my questions:

1.) Onboard Charger Installation:

I will have my 2 trolling motor batteries up front. Is it ok to mount the Onboard Charger in the same compartment?

2.) Since the 2 trolling motor batteries and the Onboard Charger will be up front I want to run the 2 short wires to them and the 3rd bank all the way back to the starting battery. I was going to use something like this:

CCx15 Dual Pro Charger Cable Extension Kit | ChargingChargers.com

The question is that they are only 14 gauge when I thought you needed 6 or 8 gauge, would they work?

They are 15' feet, would that reach?

Also, apparently you are supposed to keep the fuses close to the battery. I look at the above pre-made extension wires and don't see any fuses. Where are they?

3.) Can I make my own extension wires/splice into the original wires to lengthen them?

I've read that you can make your own and splice into the existing ones without voiding the warranty.

Where do you splice it?

If the wires are a single wire and come down to a Y, I read that you need splice it before the Y. However, they said you also want to keep the fuses near the batteries. Would I have to wire in my own fuses?

4.) I want to make my own jumper wires to set the 2 12v batteries in series. I can make my own. What gauge should I use?

5.) How do I install the Minn Kota Circuit Breaker?

Since I have 3 batteries do I need a circuit breaker for each one?

This is what I bought.

MKR-19 Circuit Breaker

6.) Where is a good place online or store (I'm in the Twin Cities) to get the best price on a Dual Pro Onboard Charger.

7.) When I do need to get batteries, what batteries aer the best bang for your buck?

8.) I am short and like to cast a lot up front, I also fish for topwater bass mostly so I fish in shallow water. I ended up with a 60" shaft, do you think too much of it will be out of the water in shallow water and I won't be able to cast over the head of the Terrova trolling motor?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help on installing an Onboard Charger, Batteries, and Circuit Breaker

I would contact DualPro about the extensions.

The reason they are 14 gauge is because the charger is only putting out 15A.

Last edited:

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

I would contact DualPro about the extensions.

The reason they are 14 gauge is because the charger is only putting out 15A.

So should I make my jumper wires from battery 1 to battery 2 out of 14 gauge as well?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So should I make my jumper wires from battery 1 to battery 2 out of 14 gauge as well?
Who said anything about jumper wires?

I was talking about the size of the wires from the battery charger to the battery.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Who said anything about jumper wires?

I was talking about the size of the wires from the battery charger to the battery.

I know. I just asked that question.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You select the size wires for the amount of current they will be carrying.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

You select the size wires for the amount of current they will be carrying.

Ok. So if I am making jumper wires for 2 12v batteries turning it into 24v, what gauge wires do I need?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the cables are short, and assuming 60A, 4ga is probably fine.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

If the cables are short, and assuming 60A, 4ga is probably fine.

Ok. Why 4g vs. 14g?

Any help with the other questions?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ok. Why 4g vs. 14g?
Because you motor is drawing 60A. Smaller and you would have too much voltage drop.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Cool.

Any help on the other questions?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1) Fine to mount in the same location.
2) Fuses are at the end of the extension cable.
3) The manufacturer recommends that you don't make your own extensions. For my charger, I bought their extensions but I would call them to see what their reason on insisting.
4) I think we answered that one.
5) Only need one breaker mounted near the battery for the positive that feeds the trolling motor.
6) I bought mine here: Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more.
7) Lots of tradeoffs here. I just bought some AGMs for my boat but they are over $200/each for size 31/27. Buy big enough so that you will only discharge your batteries down to 50% level.
8) I can't help you there.

Just so you know, these Dual Pro chargers are BIG! I switched to the PS2 from a Guest that I used to have. I had to move it because it was nearly 3 times deeper than my previous charger. These chargers are one of the few that are reccomended by Oddysey for their AGM batteries.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To determine shaft length you measure the distance from the bow of the boat to the surface of the water and add one foot to 18 inches. Only if you tend to fish very rough water do you need to have the motor any deeper than that. Yes -- a troller that sticks up too far hinders fishability. It can be very annoying when fighting a fish.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know where to get cheap, pre-made wire jumpers to go from battery #1 to battery #2?

I only need about 7" inches and they only sell 4gauge for 100' roll for $84.

NYBo

Admiral

For freshwater use, you can find a selection in various lengths and gauges at auto parts stores.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can buy virtually wire by the foot at virtually any big box store such as Lowes, Home Depot, etc. They also have the terminal ends.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Will 6awg work for the jumper wire or is only 4awg good?

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Will 6awg work for the jumper wire or is only 4awg good?

Its all about the load the wire carries. Saving a few bucks to go with a smaller ga wire is hardly worth the lack of performance of your expensive batteries, or worse case overheating the wire and causing a fire IMO

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Its all about the load the wire carries. Saving a few bucks to go with a smaller ga wire is hardly worth the lack of performance of your expensive batteries, or worse case overheating the wire and causing a fire IMO

So 6awg isn't good?

I was told 6awg would be ok too.