2000 Evinrude 225hp Ficht could stator fry voltage regulator in EMM?

Greetings folks,
Last October on a regular day on the water noticed my voltage gauge was to max and a check engine light on, my fish finder has a monitor screen reading +17volts, after verifying cables and new batteries installed voltage was up still, so up to DFI Technologies went, they said cooling water it's the biggest enemy of the voltage rect/regulator, so also a new water pump installed. After I received the rebuilt EMM went out a couple of times and all good, winter came and the boat sat at the house and other repairs to the other motor. Three Sundays ego we went out and about 15 minutes into the ride +4000 rpms and the voltage climbed to +17volts again, only with bait well pump and lights on the voltage stabilizes to 14.1 volts and check engine light goes off. Called DFI and said was under warranty, thank God, but again I verified water flow from the water pump out the port mid-section hose barb into the Fuel Vapor Sep. and out water flows greatly, also connected a barb between in/out hoses to EMM and flows plenty, also verified water flows back down were it connects to a "Y" and back into the starboard mid-section and flows immediately and plenty.
DFI confirmed today my EMM it's on it's way back and good to go, I just dropped the boat at a local certified tech so he can check the Stator, that at this point I'm not sure if it could fry the EMM. The tech said it's best to check it and also the capacitor and all electrical connections vital to charging syst.
For the most part when I ask seems like no one gives a straight answer, Could the stator damage the EMM?, any other components? Filter module, Capacitor?
I'm trying to eliminate all possibilities on my behalf and to make sure it's not my outboard causing the issue, I'd hate to take advantage of the folks at DFI, they have been great and always very respectful.
Any comments, advices are welcome and thanks in advanced
Nelson

Fed

Commander
Re: 2000 Evinrude 225hp Ficht could stator fry voltage regulator in EMM?

Unless I'm misreading your post I think you have had a faulty regulator the whole time.

Ficht, sorry I have no idea on this.

Last edited:

Hello Fed,
No, you're not misreading, and sorry for the long post, but my brother said the same thing, he said the voltage regulator was never replaced, for all we know I'm probably loosing sleep over this and nothing it's wrong with the engine, Do you know in a regular charging system if an alternator could overcharge or send an extreme current that could damage the voltage regulator?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not likely. Regulators can be damaged if the output is disconnected from its load. Any connection in that circuit that may be open or intermittent can be an issue.

Fed

Commander

I thought that was rectifiers Silvertip, although they're within the same unit he is still pushing out +17V like an unregulated system.
Wasn't overheating regulators a special feature if Fichts, smoke fire etc?