Mercury Thruster wiring issue

ggflyer46

Recruit
I'm new to your forum. I bought an old Mercury Thruster II TM. There is a black/yellow wire in the foot pedal that is not connected to anything. Does anyone have any ideas? I've never had a trolling motor before. Do you have to hold the button down on the foot pedal all the time to make the motor run? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I just retired and am new to fishing. I've had a few boats before but have never fished.

Re: Mercury Thruster wiring issue

on the old manual trolling motors the motor only runs when you have your foot on the button. As for the black/yellow what's not working on the trolling motor?

ggflyer46

Recruit

on the old manual trolling motors the motor only runs when you have your foot on the button. As for the black/yellow what's not working on the trolling motor?

The only thing I noticed was the motor didn't run on high speed. I was hoping that wire was for the motor to stay running without holding the button down all the time.

there should be a dial on the foot pedal for speed control. Until you get to the gps/remote units you have to use the button but its not that bad when you get use to it.