New audio install questions

mlacross80

Recruit
Hello I am fairly new to the audio electronic world. I have a couple of questions before doing a new audio install on my boat. I have purchased a Kenwood KMR-555U head unit that is rated for ?Power Output:
◦Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels
◦RMS: 22 watts x 4 channels

I am installing with the head unit two speakers and have purchased a set of Infinity Marine 612M 6.5" speakers rated at ?Power Handling:
◦Peak: 450 watts per pair / 225 watts each
◦RMS: 150 watts per pair / 75 watts each

I do not have an amp to install at this time.

What is the best way to hook up the speakers to the head unit to get their full potential. I was told two different things. One to just hook up one channel to each speaker from the head unit and not use the other two channels from the head unit. Someone else told me that I could split the channels (power from one channel/ground from a second) to get better performance out of the system. I don't want to fry anything so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Second question is do I need an amp. Will running under the speakers rated RMS power by just using the head unit cause problems?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: New audio install questions

What is the best way to hook up the speakers to the head unit to get their full potential.
Follow the instruction for 2 speakers in your manual.

Will running under the speakers rated RMS power by just using the head unit cause problems?
No. I am sure some stereo installer will come on here with some BS about this one and say different but it doesn't matter.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just use the 2 front speaker outputs from the HU. Save the rear outputs for when you find out you do not have enough something (sound, surround, etc).

Bridging outputs is not needed or worth it (unless of course, imho, you are trying to put max power to a sub or something).

Follow the instruction for 2 speakers in your manual.

No. I am sure some stereo installer will come on here with some BS about this one and say different but it doesn't matter.

^^^^ This

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do the Infinity speakers sound?? Again just use front speaker outputs.. I have the Kenwood KMR-350U and just installed a remote for it, I like the receiver..