• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRP control box/shifter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRP control box/shifter

Click image for larger version

Name:	dafe7685bf72291c53591d0ce6e732e1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	177678I have a problem with shifter. I haven't had boat in water yet. redid all of inside of boat. so I have been messing with stuff. shifter has worked in the past not on water in the driveway. I messed with screw on front of control box now it wont go into forward gear it will go into reverse. what did I do by messing with that set screw and how to fix it. thanks
    1986 SC170 Sea Nymph Fishtracker. 1997 70hp (ETLEUM) Evinrude

Re: BRP control box/shifter

I got it shifting now. I unhooked shifting rod that comes off of motor and hooks to cable that connection. I figured I could tell if it was cable or something in transmission. tried shifter when that was unhooked and it went forward and reverse like it should. just for kicks I hooked it back up thinking that it was cable and it works now. still don't know what that set screw does. I also see where that shift rod goes inside motor there is a cotter pin missing. there is a neoprene bushing and a spring washer it must need to be held into place. I don't think that was my shifting problem though.
    1986 SC170 Sea Nymph Fishtracker. 1997 70hp (ETLEUM) Evinrude

Comment

Re: BRP control box/shifter

That is a friction adjustment so you don't have to have your hand on the control lever all the time. You should also not try to shift a boat without the engine running. If the clutch dogs are not lined up with the notches in the mating gear you cannot force it into gear. If you try, you can damage the control box or the cables. As for "messing" with things, you are advised NOT to do that -- at least until you have a reasonable idea of what that device is you are "messing" with and what the consequences are if you don't know what it is.

Comment

Working...
      X