Homemade lenco trim indicator? Help needed.

Jacob J

Cadet
Hello all

I bought a boat with faulty lenco trim tabs on it, but now I have thrown out all but the cylinders and made my own controls for them and it works very well. Incredible how those flaps work wonders.

Now, I would now like to add some indicators of some kind. Maybe just two leds to each cylinder, one that lights when the flap is all the way up and one that lights when the flap is all the way down.

I know that you can buy such a switch panel that has indicators in it, but that is not an option. But on the other hand it tells me that it is possible to make. Anyone who knows how the original switch with indicators work or how I could make something similar?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Homemade lenco trim indicator? Help needed.

Hello all

I bought a boat with faulty lenco trim tabs on it, but now I have thrown out all but the cylinders and made my own controls for them and it works very well. Incredible how those flaps work wonders.

Now, I would now like to add some indicators of some kind. Maybe just two leds to each cylinder, one that lights when the flap is all the way up and one that lights when the flap is all the way down.

I know that you can buy such a switch panel that has indicators in it, but that is not an option. But on the other hand it tells me that it is possible to make. Anyone who knows how the original switch with indicators work or how I could make something similar?

Ayuh,.... I put way over-sized Bennetts on my barge years ago,...

I too didn't wanta throw the Big cash for the indicators, 'n I went 'bout makin' my own,...

I took a piece of 1/8" SSteel weldin' rod, 3' long, 'n threaded the ends,...
On the lower end, I attached it to the aft part of the tab, at the vertical bar,...
The top end fits through a little hole in a little angle piece at the top of the transom, 'n is double nutted with an acron nut on top,...

When Up, they're plainly visible with just a turn of my knoggin',...
When Down, I gotta sit up straight, 'n Look for 'em,...
You can see most of 1 in this picture,...
100_3477.jpg

Big boats(Off-shore types) with Big tabs actually run a cable all the way to the helm to move a gauge at the dash too,...

Jacob J

Cadet

I see, a non electronic way of doing it could be the way forward. It certainly looks to be a quick make. Any thoughts on the durability of the setup?

Bondo

Staff member

I see, a non electronic way of doing it could be the way forward. It certainly looks to be a quick make. Any thoughts on the durability of the setup?

Ayuh,.... They've been there for well over 15 years, 'n well over 2000 hours of boatin', 'n fishin',....