ProMariner ProMar vs Guest on board charger

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I will be installing this charger on my PWC trailer and charging my PWC batteries while in storage..

Obviously PWC batteries are much smaller than typical marine batteries..

I typically get all AGM batteries for my boat/PWC's...

However currently I have a gel and a flooded lead acid battery in my PWC's..

That said.. The ProMariner Pro mar specifically says that it is for lead acid and gel batteries, not for AGM...

The Guest charger says it can be used with any battery type..

Does it really matter?

I know their are different charging profiles for different battery types, but there's not even a button or switch to select which battery type you have and the alternator on the PWC's rant going to know the difference.. So why would the charger?

I know that when I use my big charger to charge the AGM battery I use to have in the PWC, I would set the charger to AGM/Gel and it would end up tripping an error code and would only charge when set on 12v "standard" battery..

I don't want to get the ProMar if its really going to be a problem, but It is available locally, where as the Guest I would have to order..

Thanks,

-TheChad

alldodge

Staff member
Re: ProMariner ProMar vs Guest on board charger

They have different absorbtion and float rates
AGM Typical absorption voltage range 14.4 to 15.0 volts, typical float voltage range 13.2 to 13.8 volts.
GEL Typical absorption voltage range 14.0 to 14.2 volts, typical float voltage range 13.1 to 13.3 volts.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay...

So these chargers can detect this? If I have 1 type of battery connected to 1 bank, and a different type of battery connected to another bank, is the charger smart enough to detect that?

-TheChad

alldodge

Staff member

Okay...

So these chargers can detect this? If I have 1 type of battery connected to 1 bank, and a different type of battery connected to another bank, is the charger smart enough to detect that?

-TheChad

I would say no... The chargers do not setect what kind of battery is installed they all have a switch which you set and telling the charger what type of charging (type batt) it will do. You can not mix GEL and AGM unless there is a seperate switch for each bank; I've never heard or seen one which would allow this but who knows.