Picked up a 1989 bass tracker 150 evinrude
There are 3 battery boxes in the boat
I assume one should be a dedicated starting battery
Other 2 deep cycle???
Any suggestions on what to buy?

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bass tracker battery setup

Does it have a trolling motor on the front? Does it say 12v or 24v on it?

If you have a trolling motor, 2 of the 3 are likely for that. If its. 12v system wire them in parallel to keep 12v. If it is 24v you wire them in series to make 24v. Depending on the brand and type of motor, the plug may make the correct connection for you.

The 3rd battery is your engine starting and accessory power.

I have had great luck with the Wal-Mart ever start deep cell marine batteries. If you can fit em in your battery box, the group 29's last a long time. Since you have 2 of em, group 27's may be plenty.

If you don't already have one, I would get a 27 or smaller deep cycle for the starting battery.

If you are running a good sonar unit, it needs to be on its own power source to prevent interference. A small 12v battery like that for a Motorcycle or lawn mower lasts days.

Find some junk batteries for cheap to save yourself the core charges on 3 batteries. $30 each adds up. You should be able to get em free or cheap on Craig's list.

Maneiac

Cadet

Thanks so much for the reply
A great help
It is amazing what people can mess with over the years
Looks like the wiring is a mess
Once I get into all the accessories this will be fun
Wires have been cut from the fuse block twisted and taped what a mess
Been doing a ton of reading on this forum
Will have to get my hands on a wiring diagram and go one step at a time
I am hoping that I can get it running without all the assessory wiring hooked up
I am new enough with this stuff that I don't want to get to deep with this money wise before I bail
Lol

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never bought a boat that I didn't rewire. I worked on aircraft avionics for 17 years and can't stand messy wiring.

OK I didn't rewire the canoe or jon boat, but all the others, yep.

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy a soldering gun, some solder, liquid electrical tape, and shrink wrap.

It may take a little longer, but it is worth it when you never have to worry about a bad connection. I solder every splice and every connector. Never had one fail.

Take your time and do one circuit at a time. Cleaning it all up will pay off when everything g works, and no fire hazard.