Where to buy or have restored 2001 Mercury Smartcraft Gauges

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
2001 optimax 150 with VDO smartcraft sppedi and tach gauges. They are uv damaged to point they are unreadable. It seems this vintage gauge is NLA. What are my best options for restoration and/or replacement beyond ebay? Mercury part numbers 79-859019 and 79-859020. Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where to buy or have restored 2001 Mercury Smartcraft Gauges

Here

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Geez. Thanks. I do already know how to use google. If you would have taken a moment to research the part numbers instead of being a wise guy you might have also found these particular smartcraft gauges are NLA - no longer available. I was hoping to find some real help about any companies that specialize in gauge repair and restoration. Or maybe a real lead on where someone has New Old Stock of them. Mercury changed in 2002 so anyone with the old smartcraft gauges are SOL unless you get lucky and find one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The Google search Don did for you provided a link to Great Lakes Skipper -- a firm that has the largest inventory of NOS (new old stock) stuff, including gauges, on the planet. I didn't look for the part numbers you provided but since you know how to Google I figured you could do that. Here are just a couple more "repair related" links I uncovered using a "Google" search.

Smartcraft gauge lens - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
Smart Craft Gauges [Archive] - Walleye Message Central

p.s. - it is not nice to bite the hand that feeds you!

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply Silvertip. Perhaps I jumped the gun on Don's reply, but sending a link to a "Let Me Google That For You" process that walks it through the steps and pop up messages of "ENTER YOUR QUESTION", "HIT THE SEARCH BUTTON" and "WAS THAT SO HARD" seemed to be a condescending way of going about it. I responded the way I did, as I wouldn't have done that to another poster with an honest question that took the time to include the part numbers and some details that might help other forum members give a meaningful reply. If that was all I had to say, I wouldn't have said anything at all.