Depth Finder, GPS, Chart Plotter??? What would you buy - $500-1000

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking up some navigation aids. I remember chart plotters being the way things were going many years ago. There are some neat units in that category with 3D renderings of waterways, etc. I came across the combo depth finder/GPS units also. That would combine a lot of functionality in a single unit = compact, not a lot of space required.

If you were going to spend $500-1000 what tools would you get? Would you split up the GPS and depth finder to individual units? Get a combo unit? What are your thoughts and why?

Those of you that have any of the above listed tools - what do you have and what do you like, not like, what would you change?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Depth Finder, GPS, Chart Plotter??? What would you buy - $500-1000

It sort of depends on what you plan to do with it, is it navigation or fishing. The side and down scan imaging can help for some types of fishing, but isn't needed for most navigation. That is unless you like gadgety stuff.

One unit is the most common, but larger boats and those that go offshore may have backup units on board.

Some brands may have better maps, but the menu?s and instructions may not be great, others are easy to use but unless you buy more maps of your local area you will be disappointed.

Basic combo units start at $299.00, to get it all you just need to spend more money.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Depth Finder, GPS, Chart Plotter??? What would you buy - $500-1000

I've been researching the past several days and talking to a guy at work that has some of these on his boats. His newest unit is about 5 years old. I am digging in to it a little bit more to see what the limitations are of that one.

Edit: I did more searching and came up with the part number for the software I was looking for.

Last edited: