1991 Caravelle fuel gauge & sending unit problems

adbingaman

Recruit
I have a new fuel gauge and sending unit. When I touch the wires together that hook to the sending unit my gas gauge says full, but when I hook the wires to the sending unit it says it is a little over half way full or empty, depending on which way I move the float, I cannot get it to say full at all. What else can I do to troubleshoot this, it is driving me crazy!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Caravelle fuel gauge & sending unit problems

Follow the diagram shown about 50 times in this forum and in the "stichies". Use the SEARCH feature.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your gonna need to remove the sending unit and move/bend the float arm.
Next???? Is the boat full??
Oh yea .Welcome.Fill out the profile,location.You might be close to someone who can help?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

He is moving the float arm manually - bendimg the arm does nothing. Areyou certain you have a gauge and sender that are compatable (both 0 - 240 ohms).

gm280

Supreme Mariner

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: always great to have another boater aboard...

For the record, a completely full fuel tank should read around 30 ohms or there about. And conversely an empty tank should read 240 ohms or there about. But only if the sender is a ~30 to ~240 ohm range sender. There are others with different ranges for different type gauges. So make very sure your sender AND fuel gauge is of the same manufacture and/or type for everything to work properly. After verifying they are the same (compatible with each other), you should be able to raise and lower the float arm and watch the gauge change as well. If you get it to read empty but won't go to full, maybe your gauge gets stuck some how... Check and see... Let us know...