Nikko Horn wiring

I have an older Nikko model YPL horn and I was wondering how you can tell which wire is positive or negative. Each horn on the assembly has two gray wires coming out...How do I determine which is which and how do you wire it up?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Nikko Horn wiring

Doesn't matter.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If neither of the gray wires are connected (shorted) to the horn itself or the mounting bracket, then exactly like Don S stated, it doesn't matter...

So I would run a hot to a switch, that same hot out of the switch and connect that to the four wires (2 on each horn) coming from the horns and with the horn mounted to metal consel...that would be grounded???

Don S

So I would run a hot to a switch, that same hot out of the switch and connect that to the four wires (2 on each horn) coming from the horns and with the horn mounted to metal consel...that would be grounded???

Your console should not be used as a ground. You run the ground wires from the horn to the negative bus bar. Usually part of the fuse panel, but could be a separate bus.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That would be a Dead Short,....

The horn wires go to (+), 'n (-),... Not Both Hot,....

Ya hook to 1 wire each, 'n the other wire each, goes to the ground buss,...

Don S

You have 2 horns.

On each horn you have 2 wires. One wire on each horn is hot, the other is ground. Doesn't matter which wire on a horn is hot or ground.

You need to pick one wire from each horn and hook it to the horn button.

Take the other two wires (one from each horn) and hook them to the negative (ground) bus bar.

That bus bar may be part of the fuse panel, or it could be separate. But it's not the base of the horns nor the console.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

i Have a Nikko Model YPL as well and it's not working. I took apart and cleaned insides which were really dirty. I hooked directly to battery and it did not go off. What can keep these horns from working?