Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Questions

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello all,

I just acquired a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 trolling motor. It came with the boat but was never used.

Questions:

1. Is this a 12V or 24V motor?

2. I have two batteries that have three heavy guage wires going to the trolling motor plug (Red/Black/Purple w/Orange Stripe). The trolling motor only has two (Red and Black) wires going into the base. The trolling motor plug has four poles available but has three wires (red/black/orange) on the female, trolling motor end. The Orange wire is not being used.

Does anyone have a simple diagram that may help?

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Questions

Let's clarify your description. The "Trolling Motor PLUG" is the device on the end of the cable you connect to the "Trolling Motor RECEPTACLE" in the boat. A PD55 is a 12 volt motor. Anything bigger than that will be 24 volts. Therefore the RECEPTACLE in the boat needs only two terminals but it is common practice to provide them with two, three, or four connections. Since your boat is wired for a combination 12 OR 24 volt system, three wires were used. In your case, you only need one battery to operate the motor, or you can use both in PARALLEL (not SERIES) if you wish.

Here is a typical three wire 12/24 system:

What you need to do to use only ONE battery is to use a VOLTMETER, not a test light, to determine which two terminals on the receptacle provide 12 volts. You can look at the wires at the batteries to determine this as well. Black is obviously ground so if you check the back of the RECEPTACLE you can see which terminal that is. Then check the wire color on the POSITIVE post of the battery that has the BLACK wire on it and again, see which terminal on the RECEPTACLE it goes to. You then ensure the RED and BLACK wire on the MOTOR PLUG match the two wires you just looked at. No rewiring on the boat side is necessary but you may need to change the motor plug wiring to match.

Since you admit being electrically challenged, I suggest you remove the wires on the second battery and just tape the ends. You can then keep both batteries charged and simply move the two wires from one battery to the other if you actually need the extended run time.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Silvertip.

Is it possible that a 24V Troller has just two wires going into the troller base (red/black)?

I think this is a 24V motor. It's a "PD/AP 70"

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It really would have been nice to know that up front. Ignore everything I said. The diagram I show is correct for your motot as well. Just check the Receptacle for the two terminals that provide 24 volts. Yes -- 24 volts requires only two wires.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It really would have been nice to know that up front. Ignore everything I said. The diagram I show is correct for your motot as well. Just check the Receptacle for the two terminals that provide 24 volts. Yes -- 24 volts requires only two wires.

Thanks Silvertip. Your diagram and explanation is extremely helpful.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Silvertip. Got it figured out with your guidance. The key was the jumper between batteries.

Thanks again.