Old bass boat, suddenly lost accessory power

Hal88

Recruit
Hey, I have had this Fisher Marine '88 16ft SV-16 GT for about a year, and have only been able to really get to know it for the last few months. I have noticed some of the electrical configurations on this boat don't match what I see others having - which has made it very confusing for me when I try to troubleshoot by searching through already existing threads. Here is my situation:

Yesterday, I built a small PVC post to hold 2 halogen lights (for seeing in front of me when the sun has gone completely down) that total 110W - leading to just under 10A current. I wired this redneck contraption up by using 18ga wire for each individual light and then wired a 14ga wire to meet those two wires. I did the same thing for positive and negative, then wired the 14ga into a 120V AC lightswitch, and finally connected them to my fuse panel under the console of the boat. I tested the connection before putting everything through the PVC. It worked, so I completed the light post.

After bracing the post to the console and finalizing the wiring, my problems came about.

I have two power switches on my dashboard, a master power and an "accessory" power switch. I flicked the master power switch and it showed a little red light, like always. But when I flicked the accessory switch, nothing happened. Usually I know my accessory power is on because my gas gauge jumps up. No power to the gas gauge, internal lights, navigation lights, etc.
dash.jpg

Because this was only an hour or so after I just tested the connection, I assumed it must be a fuse. I looked underneath the console, but all fuses seemed to be fine.
fuse panel.jpg

I have tried:
1. Ensuring a good connection to the battery (the accessories run off of their own battery; cranking and trim work fine using their own cranking battery).
2. Switching connections with the cranking battery.
3. Searching for blown fuses (but can only find the one fuse panel).
4. Disconnecting the light post.

Notable observations:
1. Where the accessory switch connects to the fuse panel, there is no negative lead running opposite to the positive lead. It has always been this way and only just now is there a problem. Not sure why there isn't a negative right there.
2. The accessory power toggle switch seems jammed - it doesn't easily switch up and down. I can wiggle it and work it into each position, but not sure if maybe it's broken in the off position or something. Is that possible?

Here is the backside of the accessory switch, although I don't know if it's useful. I had read about fuses being in some switches but there doesn't seem to be one here.
toggle switch.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help. I'm new to boats, so if you can put any advice in the simplest terms possible I would really appreciate it. I'm hoping this is something simple that I have just overlooked.

-Hal

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Old bass boat, suddenly lost accessory power

Something just doesn't look right on your fuse panel. At the bottom of the picture I see what looks like the hot side of the panel, there are two red wires going to the main buss and that's OK. I don't see any wires coming off the other side of the fuses near the top. What I think I see is all the wires coming from a buss on the top and if it is a buss I would think it to be ground.

As for your question about switches, yes they go bad. You need an ohm meter to check for continuity

Hal88

Recruit

Thank you for your response.

I just ran out and picked up an inexpensive multimeter real quick to test the switch, and it seems that the switch is bad.

I'm hoping that's all this is. It seems odd that the switch would just cut out like that since it worked earlier in the day. It may have intermittently cut out before - not giving me a gas gauge reading until I flicked it off and then back on. I didn't really think anything of it though and it hasn't happened in a long time.

I'll pick up a new switch tomorrow from West Marine and see if that fixes the problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just ran out and picked up an inexpensive multimeter real quick to test the switch, and it seems that the switch is bad.

How did you test the switch? I see too many people using the meter wrong and not understanding what the reading actually means. You could see 12V on your meter and it means the switch is bad. That's why I ask HOW you tested.

Don S

Just blew up that fuse block picture. and none of those fuses are being used. Everything is unfused.

That is one sad fuse block design. The ground bus is right next to the fuses where the wires should be hooked.

NYBo

Admiral

You have multiple problems here:
1. As mentioned, none of your circuits goes through the fuses.
2. Your instruments are supposed to be wired through the engine's electrical system via the ignition switch, not the fuse panel.
3. Your new lights are illegal to use while underway.

Hal88

Recruit

Don S - I used the ohmmeter setting on the multimeter. I measured at the 200 ohms setting and got a reading of infinity while checking the two blades of the switch. I tested a couple of things that I knew worked so that I had something to compare against. The (apparently) unused fuses gave me a reading close to zero, but the switch wouldn't register a real number - just infinity. Do I need to test it differently?

Thank you for showing me that diagram, I'll rewire according to that. When I got the boat many things such as that were not put together quite right. For instance, there were about 4 positive ring terminals going directly to the starting battery. I didn't know any better until a friendly guy at the dock was giving me a hand my first day out and noticed. Obviously I'll have to correct that fuse panel - hopefully the previous owner at least had the right fuses in there in the first place.

NYBo - I'll have to fix that as well. Instruments meaning the gas gauge and other dash gauges?

Thanks for the responses.

-Hal

Don S

Normally, there isn't a switch on the panel for main power. Typically, there is a battery switch, a 30A breaker or fuse very near the battery switch, a 10 ga. wire going to the fuse panel at the helm.

Your toggle switch is bad with that method of testing. I also doubt that switch is rated for more than 15A.

NYBo

Admiral

Yes, the power for the gas gauge, tachometer, voltmeter, etc. should come from the ignition switch. You can also power the gauge lights from that circuit, or hook them up to the navigation light switch.

Hal88

Recruit

I replaced the accessory switch and power is back on.

Still need to fix those other issues yall have pointed out for me. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

-Hal