How to add GPS to Humminbird Matrix 17 fish finder?

skycries57

Cadet
did some research and from the looks of it all I have to buy is the Humminbird AS-GR16 and thats it? If so why does the online manual say I need a Y cord for the smart cast weather sense or is this an additional option?
Humminbird 531478-2_B User Manual (Page 9 of 66)

Is it as easy as plugging the GPS in the bottom,configure and thats it?

Anyone have a matrix with GPS capabilities? Wonder if its worth spending 80.00 for the GPS receiver or just buy a new one with a GPS built it? Got the matrix 17 new from a friend for 50.00.. Thanks!

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: How to add GPS to Humminbird Matrix 17 fish finder?

You will need the "Y" Cable to attach the GPS Antenna and the Smart cast at the same time.
No Smart Cast? No Cable Needed.

Be sure you understand what the GPS Receiver is going to add.
It will have way points that will get you back out to your saved fishing spots and Back to the dock.
It will NOT have any maps that show charted depths or where the shore is.
The map will be Completely blank until you generate tracks and enter way-points.
Be sure you understand this or you will be extremely disappointed.

The Matrix line is considered Obsolete/Legacy Equipment and has not been marketed for years.

The 386ci will give you a color chart-plotter, internal GPS, Dual Sonar, Water Temp, etc.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to add GPS to Humminbird Matrix 17 fish finder?

I have a similar set-up , matrix 17 hooked up to my garmin 40 hand held gps. Like UncleWillie say it will only show a "breadcrumb" trail and display your speed on the screen. It works for me because i already had the gps. All i had to do was get the cable to connect them. A newer unit will definitly give you more options but cost more.