Best Transducer mounting point on 14' aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

yooper jim

Cadet
Just ordered a new Hummingbird fish finder that i'm going to be using on my 14' aluminum boat with a 6 hp Evinrude outboard on it. My question is, where on the transom is the best place to mount the transducer. I've read centered and I've read a foot to starboard from center. I'm going to be adhering a piece of King Starboard first so i don't have to drill the transom, then screw the transducer to it. Thanks in advance for the help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best Transducer mounting point on 14' aluminum

starboard doesn't "adhere" without the use of high dollar exotic glues n special techniques... just drill n seal w 5200

I have a Hummingbird 170 on a 14' aluminum boat. The location of the transducer is determined by the shape of the bottom of the boat and distance from the prop. Once you get the Hummingbird, the mounting and placement instructions for the transducer is pretty clear cut. When I mounted the transducer I screwed right into the transom with sealant on the screws. No leaks, no problems.

Papa :fish2:

yooper jim

Cadet

starboard doesn't "adhere" without the use of high dollar exotic glues n special techniques... just drill n seal w 5200

I got the idea for the star board from watching the video for Sternsaver. Was able to outsource a piece from a plastics company and epoxy from local marine shop cheaper. But if it's not gong to hold up maybe i'll just have to forgo the board and drill the holes. I just wanted to leave room for future transducer placement without having to worry about more holes in my transom.

UncleWillie

Captain

Mounting the Transducer directly in front of the prop risks disturbing the water enough that the prop might Ventilate at higher speeds. I would recommend mounting it on the transom but to the Right of the AV Plate of the Drive to avoid the issue.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you could BOLT the plastic to the transom and then screw multiple 'ducers to it

I B Dead Eye

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure I'm to late. But here is my 2 cents worth. I took a piece of Oak flooring (new) 3" long dipped in varnish let it dry then mounted it to transom using 3M 5200. I used tape to keep in place while 5200 cured. Then I attached my transducer. It works fine and I didn't make any holes in boat below the waterline.

I B Dead Eye

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure I'm to late. But here is my 2 cents worth. I took a piece of Oak flooring (new) 3" long dipped in varnish let it dry then mounted it to transom using 3M 5200. I used tape to keep in place while 5200 cured. Then I attached my transducer. It works fine and I didn't make any holes in boat below the waterline.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto. I've done something very similar on several of my tin/glass boats. I've used everything from sealed AAC pine to a chunk of poly cutting board material. The trick is to use plenty of 5200 and let it set up well. I've never had 5200 fail on me in this application (One install is going on 10 years old.). Advantages of this method is that :

1) you are not drilling holes in the hull.
2) if you make the board tall ( say, 4" wx 12" tall) it not only gives you a place to mount the transducer but also gives you space to secure the transducer wire as it nears the top of the transom
3) can always be removed if the transducer is in the wrong place.
4) allows for easy up/Down/cant adjustment of the xducer to get the best performance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Follow the directions that are provided in the owners manual. Those instructions by the way, will NOT suggest in the center of the boat for what should be very obvious reasons. It should also NOT be in line with any strakes on the bottom of the boat.

Bobdag

Cadet
I epoxied a piece of 5/8" UHMW on.
No worries of water leaking in or having to add more holes below the water line.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bobdag 2+ year old thread. The OP used your idea, only with StarBoard way back then.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.